[E&M] Concentrical metalic spheres

In summary, the equation gives the potential at a given distance from a charged object, using the assumption that the potential at infinity is zero.
Xsnac
Homework Statement

I two concentric metalical spheres r1 =/= r2.
What to do to have:
a) potential energy = 0 and electric charge =/= 0
b) potential energy =/= 0 and electric charge =0.

In eighter one of the spheres.

Relevant equations
Gauss law.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
If I charge the outside sphere, I will have potential energy = 0 on it and electric charge =/= 0.

b)
I tought If I charge the one inside with Q, I will have a potential =/= 0 on the bigger sphere and 0 charge.

Is this correct? The problem does not give correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do any of the spheres have an initial charge on them? And are you at a point in between the two spheres?

I'm outside and I can charge eighter the bigger or the smaller or both of them. I have to have the specs from eighter a) or b) on 1 of them.

Well, when you have a net positive or negative charge the potential will approach zero only at infinity (unless otherwise specified such as the ground on a circuit). If you charge the outside sphere, why would potential energy be zero on it? May you show us what equation you are using for electric potential energy?

Last edited:
Xsnac said:
Homework Statement

I two concentric metallic spheres r1 =/= r2.
What to do to have:
a) potential energy = 0 and electric charge =/= 0
b) potential energy =/= 0 and electric charge =0.

In either one of the spheres.

Relevant equations
Gauss law.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
If I charge the outside sphere, I will have potential energy = 0 on it and electric charge =/= 0.

b)
I thought If I charge the one inside with Q, I will have a potential =/= 0 on the bigger sphere and 0 charge.

Is this correct? The problem does not give correct answer.
Electric potential

or

Potential energy stored in the system?

SammyS said:
Electric potential

or

Potential energy stored in the system?
Electric potential

Xsnac said:
Electric potential
That makes more sense. Electric potential is different from electrical potential energy.
So, what equation do you have for finding the electric potential at a given distance from a uniformly charged sphere?

haruspex said:
That makes more sense. Electric potential is different from electrical potential energy.
So, what equation do you have for finding the electric potential at a given distance from a uniformly charged sphere?
k * q1 / r ( where K is 1/4 pi epsilon )

Xsnac said:
k * q1 / r ( where K is 1/4 pi epsilon )
What does "r" represent ?

SammyS said:
What does "r" represent ?
the distance from where the electric potential is 0 to where you want to measure the electric potential.

Xsnac said:
the distance from where the electric potential is 0 to where you want to measure the electric potential.
No. Check your course notes.

haruspex said:
No. Check your course notes.
that's what I have written in the manual. Electric potential V = Q/(4*pi*epsilon) * 1/r. Should I upload a picture of the manual?

Xsnac said:
that's what I have written in the manual. Electric potential V = Q/(4*pi*epsilon) * 1/r. Should I upload a picture of the manual?
I'm not querying your equation. It's your definition of r that is wrong.

then I'm lost. what's the definition? I always tought it is the distance between the place where electric potential is 0 to where you want to measure the electric potential..

Xsnac said:
then I'm lost. what's the definition? I always tought it is the distance between the place where electric potential is 0 to where you want to measure the electric potential..
The equation you quoted can be applied in two contexts.
In the most basic one it gives the potential at distance r caused by a point charge Q, if taking the potential at infinity to be zero.
It also works if the charge is spread uniformly over a spherical shell or through a solid sphere. In these cases, r is the distance from the centre of the sphere, and the equation only works if r is greater than the radius of the sphere.

Related to [E&M] Concentrical metalic spheres

1. What is the purpose of using concentric metalic spheres in E&M experiments?

The purpose of using concentric metalic spheres in E&M experiments is to create a uniform electric field between the spheres. This allows for more accurate measurements and observations of electric fields and their effects.

2. How are concentrical metalic spheres used to study electric potential?

Concentrical metalic spheres are used to study electric potential by measuring the voltage difference between the spheres. By varying the distance between the spheres and measuring the voltage, the relationship between electric potential and distance can be determined.

3. Can concentrical metalic spheres be used to study magnetic fields?

Yes, concentrical metalic spheres can be used to study magnetic fields by using them in conjunction with a current-carrying wire. The spheres act as a Faraday cage, shielding the magnetic field from external interference and allowing for accurate measurements.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of E&M experiments using concentrical metalic spheres?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of E&M experiments using concentrical metalic spheres include the material and size of the spheres, the distance between them, and external interference from other electric or magnetic fields.

5. How do concentrical metalic spheres demonstrate the principles of Gauss's law?

Concentrical metalic spheres demonstrate the principles of Gauss's law by showing that the electric field is directly proportional to the charge enclosed by the spheres. As the charge increases, the electric field also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Gauss's law.