E.M , capacity of a conductor?

In summary, Gareth found that the potential difference between the two spheres is Q2-Q1/4*Pi*E0*r. If q1 is +ive, and a wire connection is made from inner to outer conductor, charge will flow. How does direction of flow depend upon the magnitude and sign of Q2?
ghosts_cloak
Hello guys, well its that time of the week when I am busy working on my homework again!
One of this weeks questions is that there are 2 hollow concentric conducting spheres which hold charges Q1 (inner shell, radius R1), and Q2 (outer shell, Radius R2 )

1) Find the potential difference between them. I think this is (Q2-Q1)/4*Pi*E0*r ?

2)If q1 is +ive, and a wire connection is made from inner to outer conductor, charge will flow. How does direction of flow depend upon the magnitude and sign of Q2?

I think charge will flow from higher to lower potential, ie if Q2 is a smaller +ive charge, charge will flow from q1 to q2.
Is negative charge a lower potential than a positive, I guess?

But this next part really gets me: What is the capacity of the above pair of conductors? (Answer 4*Pi*E0*R1R2/(R2-R1) )

What on Earth does "capacity" mean, we haven't come across that term before! I would appreciate a poke in the right direction for this! There is another part but I haven't tried that yet so I won't post here.

Any help and hints (but no solutions please it is assesed) are most appreciated :-)

Thank you

~Gareth

Physics news on Phys.org
ghosts_cloak said:
Hello guys, well its that time of the week when I am busy working on my homework again!
One of this weeks questions is that there are 2 hollow concentric conducting spheres which hold charges Q1 (inner shell, radius R1), and Q2 (outer shell, Radius R2 )

1) Find the potential difference between them. I think this is (Q2-Q1)/4*Pi*E0*r ?

Error: r not defined.

What is the potential at the surface of shell 1? Of shell 2?

Hi :-)
Oh I see, r should actually be R2-R1 in the equation I posted for the potential difference?

Thanks,

Gareth

Yes.
----------------------

Related to E.M , capacity of a conductor?

What is E.M in relation to the capacity of a conductor?

E.M, or electromagnetic, refers to the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. In the context of a conductor, it describes how the electric field created by the movement of electrons in the conductor interacts with the magnetic field created by the flow of electricity.

How does the capacity of a conductor affect its E.M?

The capacity of a conductor, also known as its capacitance, is directly related to its ability to store electric charge. This capacity determines how much charge can be stored on the conductor and therefore impacts the strength of the electric field and, in turn, the E.M of the conductor.

What factors affect the capacitance of a conductor?

The capacitance of a conductor is influenced by several factors, including the size and shape of the conductor, the type of material it is made of, and the distance between the conductor and other nearby conductors. These factors can all impact the conductor's ability to store charge and therefore affect its capacitance and E.M.

How is the capacitance of a conductor measured?

The capacitance of a conductor is measured in units called Farads (F), named after the physicist Michael Faraday. One Farad is equal to one coulomb of charge stored on the conductor per volt of potential difference. Capacitance can be measured using specialized instruments such as a capacitance meter.

Why is understanding E.M and the capacity of a conductor important?

Understanding E.M and the capacity of a conductor is crucial in many scientific and technological applications. It allows us to design and optimize electrical circuits and devices, such as capacitors, which are essential components in many electronic devices. It also plays a critical role in fields such as telecommunications, power transmission, and electromagnetic compatibility.