E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric

In summary, the electric field intensity at the center of a small spherical cavity cut out of a large block of dielectric in which a polarization P exists is P(dot)n --> charge densitysurface = P(dot)r.
snugwug

Homework Statement

Determine the electric field intensity at the center of a small spherical cavity cut out of a large block of dielectric in which a polarization P exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

charge densitysurface = P(dot)n --> charge densitysurface = P(dot)r

This is about as far as I've gotten... My problem is I've never dealt with a non-uniform charge distribution before. My first goal was to find the surface charge around the sphere, but the polarization makes it such that it's non-uniform. I've assumed that the dielectric is polarized in the positive-z direction, which puts a concentration of negative charges at the top of the sphere and a concentration of positive charges at the bottom. My professor recommended using a sin() function to integrate over the sphere (positive->neutral->negative->neutral->repeat), but I don't really know how to fit this into a surface integral. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Spencer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The material is a dialectric. I don't think it's to be supposed that there is surface charge.

There actually i s surface charge - picture a surface of thin dielectric in the xy-plane. If you polarize the whole thing with an e-field in the z-direction, the dipoles at the top of the plane will have their positive charges pointing up (giving a positive surface charge). Likewise, the bottom will have a negative surface charge. This case is tricky, because it's a sphere, so there's a smooth transition around the surface that goes sinusoidally. The professor has actually solved the problem since I first posted the problem, so I'll post a solution later for anybody who's interested.

I'd love to see that solution.

Haha - so, I've graduated since I originally posted this problem a couple years ago, but I actually just pulled out a box of old schoolwork to sort through. If I can find the solution, I'll post it.

Related to E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric

1. What is an E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric?

The E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric refers to the electric field that exists within a hollow space surrounded by a polarized dielectric material. This electric field is created by the separation of positive and negative charges within the dielectric material, resulting in a net electric field within the hollow space.

2. How is the E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric calculated?

The E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric can be calculated using the equation E = σ/ε, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density of the polarized dielectric material, and ε is the permittivity of the material. This equation takes into account the strength of the electric field and the properties of the dielectric material.

3. What is the significance of the E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric?

The E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric plays a crucial role in the behavior of polarized dielectric materials. It determines the strength and direction of the electric field within the hollow space, which can affect the overall electrical properties of the material. Understanding and controlling this field is important for various applications such as in capacitors and dielectric materials used in electronic devices.

4. How does the E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric differ from the E-Field in a solid polarized dielectric?

The main difference between the two is the presence of a hollow space in the former. This results in a more concentrated and stronger electric field compared to a solid polarized dielectric with the same surface charge density. Additionally, the electric field in a solid polarized dielectric is more evenly distributed, while in a hollow polarized dielectric, it is more focused towards the center of the hollow space.

5. Can the E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric can be manipulated or controlled by adjusting the surface charge density or the permittivity of the dielectric material. By changing these factors, the strength and direction of the electric field can be altered, allowing for control over the behavior of the material. This is useful in various applications such as in controlling the capacitance of a capacitor or in designing electronic devices with specific electrical properties.