E-field, force, & changing sign of charge (grade 12)

In summary, the net electric field at a point is calculated by separating the field vector into individual components and then recombining them into a geographical polar form. The magnitude of the force remains the same, but the direction changes by 180 degrees when the charge changes signs. The net force experienced by a particle at a point is 0.80 N [E 63° N] when the charge changes from negative to positive.
krbs

Homework Statement

a) Find the net electric field at a point
b) Find the net force experienced by a charge of -1.2 x 10-5 C placed at that point
c) What would happen if the charge changed signs?

Homework Equations

FE = qε

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Solved: 6.7 x 104 N/C [E 63° N]

b) FE = (6.7 x 104 N/C)(1.2 x 10-5 C)
= 0.80 N [S 27° W]

I'm not sure about this. I think I'm only supposed to take the magnitude of the charge into account, and figure out directions after? Also am I correct to use the net field I've already calculated?

c) The magnitude of the force would remain the same, but the directions would swap since the positive charge is being attracted rather than repelled (0.80 N [E 63° N]).

Physics news on Phys.org
krbs said:
I'm not sure about this. I think I'm only supposed to take the magnitude of the charge into account, and figure out directions after?
You can do that, or you could separate the field vector into individual components (East and North, corresponding to X and Y components in a Cartesian coordinate system), then compute the force components individually, recombining the resulting components into your "geographical polar" form afterwards.

krbs said:
Also am I correct to use the net field I've already calculated?
Presumably so, although without seeing the rest of the problem statement we can only assume that your field is correct.

krbs said:
c) The magnitude of the force would remain the same, but the directions would swap since the positive charge is being attracted rather than repelled (0.80 N [E 63° N]).
If by "swap" you mean a 180° direction change, then yes.

You probably don't want to use "attracted rather than repelled" as a descriptor since that implies an object to which something is attracted or repelled. Here, as far as we can tell from the information you've supplied, there's just a field in space without a source being defined.

Likes krbs
Thanks for your response. I'll add the missing info.

a) Calculate the net electric field at point A for each of the following charge distributions.

IMG_3288.JPG

Ex = (9.0 x 109 Nm2/C2)(3.0 x 10-5 C)/(3.0m)2
= 3.0 x 104 N/C [East]

Ey = (9.0 x 109 Nm2/C2)(6.0 x 10-5 C)/(3.0m)2
= 6.0 x 104 N/C [North]

Enet2 = (3.0 x 104)2 + (6.0 x 104)2
Enet = 6.7 x 104 N/C

θ = tan-1(6.0 x 104/3.0 x 104)
= 63°
∴ Enet = 6.7 x 104 N/C [E 63° N]
gneill said:
You can do that, or you could separate the field vector into individual components (East and North, corresponding to X and Y components in a Cartesian coordinate system), then compute the force components individually, recombining the resulting components into your "geographical polar" form afterwards.

Alright, I think I understand.

c) The direction of the force experience by the particle at point A would change directions because the negative charge to the east is now attracting rather than repelling the charge, as is the negative charge to the north of point A. The new net force is therefore 0.80 N [E 63° N].

That looks good.

Likes krbs
Thank you

Related to E-field, force, & changing sign of charge (grade 12)

1. What is an E-field?

An E-field, or electric field, is a region in space surrounding a charged object where another charged object will experience an electric force. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the strength of an E-field determined?

The strength of an E-field is determined by the magnitude of the charges creating the field and the distance between them. The closer the charges are, the stronger the E-field will be.

3. What is the force exerted by an E-field on a charge?

The force exerted by an E-field on a charge is given by the formula F = qE, where q is the charge and E is the strength of the E-field. This force is always in the direction of the E-field.

4. Can the direction of an E-field change?

Yes, the direction of an E-field can change depending on the distribution of charges in the surrounding space. For example, if there are multiple charges creating the field, the direction of the E-field will be influenced by the direction of each individual charge.

5. How does the sign of a charge affect the direction of the E-field?

The sign of a charge will determine the direction of the E-field it creates. Positive charges will have an outward E-field, while negative charges will have an inward E-field. This is because like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract.