E-field between two concentric cylinders (not homework)

In summary, the conversation discussed the behavior of electric fields between two concentric cylinders with opposite uniform surface charges. The E-field between the two cylinders is equal to the field from the inner cylinder, as the outer cylinder does not contribute to the field due to the cancellation of equal and opposite charges. This can be understood mathematically through Gauss Law, but the physical explanation may be confusing. However, upon direct calculation, it is found that the outer cylindrical shell of charge has no contribution to the field inside the shell.
JDStupi
Hi, I have a question. Suppose you have two concentric cylinders of radii a and b with opposite uniform surface charges, line charges or something to that effect. Now, I know (or was told) that the E-field between the two, that is for a<r<b, is equal to the field from the inner cylinder (radius a). This is because if you draw a Gaussian surface in the region between a and b the only enclosed charge is that of the inner cylinder and, as such, the field produced will be solely due to that cylinder. Now, my question is what is physically going on? I understand the mathematical explanation in terms of Gauss Law, but I do not understand why, physically, the outer cylinder would not contribute. the way I see it there would be charges emitting a field from both and being equal and opposite they would cancel leaving nothing in that region. Why does the presence or lack thereof of a charge not make a difference wthin that region? I understand that the flux has to be zero from the outer cylinder as whatever goes in the cylinder comes out the other side thus making a net flux of zero, but I don't know, something about the physical field picture is confusing me. Simply looking at the E-field it seems counterintuitive that the field, though proximal, wouldn't make a difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to do the exercise of directly calculating the field just due to the outer cylindrical shell of charge for all points within the shell. You'll find that its contribution to the field inside the shell is exactly zero. (At least for an infinitely long cylinder.)

Related to E-field between two concentric cylinders (not homework)

1. What is the E-field between two concentric cylinders?

The E-field between two concentric cylinders is the electric field that exists between two cylindrical conductors with one inside the other. This field is created by the presence of a potential difference between the two cylinders, causing a flow of electric charges.

2. How is the E-field between two concentric cylinders calculated?

The E-field between two concentric cylinders can be calculated using the formula E = (V * ln(r2/r1))/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the two cylinders, r1 and r2 are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders respectively, and d is the distance between the cylinders.

3. What factors affect the E-field between two concentric cylinders?

The E-field between two concentric cylinders is affected by the potential difference between the cylinders, the distance between them, and the radii of the cylinders. It is also affected by the material and conductivity of the cylinders, as well as the presence of any other nearby conductors.

4. Can the E-field between two concentric cylinders be manipulated?

Yes, the E-field between two concentric cylinders can be manipulated by changing the factors that affect it. The strength of the field can be increased by increasing the potential difference between the cylinders or decreasing the distance between them. It can also be affected by changing the material and size of the cylinders.

5. What applications does the E-field between two concentric cylinders have?

The E-field between two concentric cylinders has various applications in fields such as electrical engineering, electromagnetics, and physics. It is commonly used in devices such as capacitors, transmission lines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in research and experimentation to study the behavior of electric fields and their effects on different materials.