E field at point from graph of V and x?

In summary, the student is having trouble finding the E field for a given V(x) function. They initially tried to find the slope using a specific point, but were advised to use a sine function to find a more accurate solution. They were able to correctly find the E field using the derivative of the sine function.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

test.png

Homework Equations

E = -dV/dx ?

The Attempt at a Solution

not really sure how to do this problem. I think I understand E field is negative of slope of V/x, but I'm getting it wrong. just looking at it, I see V=-2 at x=7.5. so the E field to right of x= 5 is y2-y1/x2-x1= 2/2.5 = 0.8. to the left of it I guess it's -0.8 (V/m). I tried both answer but its wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
asdf12312 said:

Homework Statement

test.png

Homework Equations

E = -dV/dx ?

The Attempt at a Solution

not really sure how to do this problem. I think I understand E field is negative of slope of V/x, but I'm getting it wrong. just looking at it, I see V=-2 at x=7.5. so the E field to right of x= 5 is y2-y1/x2-x1= 2/2.5 = 0.8. to the left of it I guess it's -0.8 (V/m). I tried both answer but its wrong.

Finding the slope is the correct approach. So in that respect you are on the right track.

But the way in which you are going about finding the slope is too inaccurate. There's a better way.

Can you express V(x) in terms of a sine function? In other words, if

V(x) = A sin(kx),

can you find A and k ?

oh yeah, I didn't think of that. V(x) = 2*sin(0.2*pi*x), so I guess I take the derivative of this to find E field? dV/dx = 2*0.2*pi*cos(0.2*pi*x), and at x=5, E=-dV/dx=1.26?

asdf12312 said:
oh yeah, I didn't think of that. V(x) = 2*sin(0.2*pi*x), so I guess I take the derivative of this to find E field? dV/dx = 2*0.2*pi*cos(0.2*pi*x), and at x=5, E=-dV/dx=1.26?

That looks correct to me! :)

(Don't forget to include the proper units in the final answer through. [Edit: then again, the problem statement didn't specify the units of V nor x. So nevermind about that, I guess.])

Last edited:

Your understanding of the relationship between the electric field (E) and the potential (V) is correct. The electric field is indeed equal to the negative of the slope of the potential with respect to distance (x). However, there are a few things to consider when solving this problem.

First, make sure you are using the correct units for the potential. The potential is typically measured in volts (V), not meters (m). If the units are not given, make sure to clarify with your instructor.

Second, when calculating the slope, make sure to use the correct points on the graph. In this case, you are given the potential at x=7.5, but you are asked to find the electric field at a point to the left or right of this point. Make sure to use the correct points on the graph to calculate the slope.

Finally, double check your calculation. In this case, the slope should be -0.8 V/m, not 0.8 V/m. This is because the potential is decreasing as you move to the right, so the slope will be negative.

Overall, it seems like you have the right approach, but just need to double check your units and calculations. Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it!

Related to E field at point from graph of V and x?

1. What is the relationship between electric field (E) and potential (V) at a given point?

According to Coulomb's law, the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the potential at that point. This means that as the potential increases, the electric field also increases.

2. How can the electric field at a point be determined from a graph of potential (V) versus distance (x)?

The electric field at a point can be determined by calculating the slope of the tangent line at that point on the V vs. x graph. The slope is equal to the negative of the electric field strength at that point.

3. How does the shape of the V vs. x graph affect the electric field at a point?

The shape of the V vs. x graph can provide information about the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a point. A steeper slope indicates a stronger electric field, while a flat slope indicates a weaker electric field. The direction of the electric field can also be determined by the direction of the slope.

4. Can the electric field at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a point can be negative. This means that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the positive charge. In other words, the electric field is pointing towards negative charges.

5. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field at a point?

The distance between charges affects the electric field at a point according to the inverse square law. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields in various situations.