E-B crossed fields parallel plate

Instead, think about the geometry of the problem. The electron is going to move in a quarter-circle. You know the radius of the quarter-circle and you know the angle through which the electron moves. Then you can determine the x- and y-components of displacement and the x- and y-components of velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of an electron released from rest at one end of a parallel plate with a magnetic field of strength B and a potential difference of V between the plates. The electron is deflected by the magnetic field and the problem requires setting up equations of motion for both the x- and y-components of acceleration. The geometry of the problem is important in determining the x- and y-components of
unscientific

Homework Statement

A parallel plate has p.d. V with one end 0V and the other +V. B-field of strength B has direction along plates. An electron is released from rest at 0V plate. Show that if V is less than e(DB)2/(2m) the electron will not reach the other plate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At half-way inbetween the plates, the radius must be d/2

R = mv/Bq

d/2 = m*√(2*e*0.5V/m) / (Bq)

I end up with e(DB)2/(4m) instead..

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
At half-way inbetween the plates, the radius must be d/2

Hello.
I don't follow your statement. Could you just as well reason that when the electron is 3/4 of the way across, then the radius must be d/4? If so, would you get the same answer?

I think you're going to need to set up the equations of motion for the x and y components of acceleration.

TSny said:
Hello.
I don't follow your statement. Could you just as well reason that when the electron is 3/4 of the way across, then the radius must be d/4? If so, would you get the same answer?

I think you're going to need to set up the equations of motion for the x and y components of acceleration.

define x as upwards, y into the plate.

max = eV/d

may = qvB

x2 + y2 = d2

is that right?

Let me make sure I understand your choice of directions and signs. Correct me if I'm wrong. You're choosing the electric field in the negative x direction so that the E field accelerates the electron in the positive x direction. The x-axis is oriented perpendicular to the plates.

y-axis is parallel to the plates and B is parallel to the plates but perpendicular to both the x-axis and the y-axis such that when the electron starts moving the B field begins to deflect the electron toward positive y.

But once the electron is deflected some in the y-direction by the B field, the electron will then have a y-component of velocity. So, the magnetic field will then cause some force parallel to the x-axis! So, you need to include a magnetic force term in your equation for ax.

The electron is going to move along a curved path, so you can't say x2+y2 = d2 (if d represents the separation of the plates).

Last edited:

Your attempt at a solution is correct. The equation for the radius of the electron's trajectory is given by:

R = mv/Bq

Where m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and q is the charge of the electron.

Substituting the given values:

d/2 = m*√(2*e*0.5V/m) / (Bq)

Simplifying and rearranging:

d = 2mv/Bq * √(eV/m)

Since the electron is released from rest at the 0V plate, its initial velocity is 0. Therefore, the equation simplifies to:

d = 0 * √(eV/m) = 0

This means that the electron will not reach the other plate if the distance between the plates (d) is greater than or equal to 0, which is always true.

Therefore, if V is less than e(DB)2/(2m), the electron will not reach the other plate because the distance between the plates will be greater than 0. This is in line with the statement in the problem that the electron will not reach the other plate if the potential difference (V) is less than a certain value.

In conclusion, your solution is correct and it shows that if the potential difference (V) is less than e(DB)2/(2m), the electron will not reach the other plate due to the distance between the plates being greater than 0.

Related to E-B crossed fields parallel plate

1. What is an E-B crossed field parallel plate?

An E-B crossed field parallel plate is a scientific concept that describes the behavior of charged particles in a parallel plate arrangement where an electric field and a magnetic field are applied perpendicular to each other.

2. How do E-B crossed fields affect charged particles?

E-B crossed fields cause charged particles to follow a curved path due to the interaction between the electric and magnetic fields. This phenomenon is known as the Lorentz force.

3. What are some real-life applications of E-B crossed fields?

E-B crossed fields are commonly used in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes, among other scientific and technological applications.

4. How is the trajectory of a charged particle affected by the strength and direction of the E-B fields?

The trajectory of a charged particle is determined by the strength and direction of both the electric and magnetic fields. The stronger the fields, the more curved the path of the particle will be.

5. Can E-B crossed fields be used to manipulate charged particles?

Yes, E-B crossed fields can be used to manipulate charged particles by adjusting the strength and direction of the fields. By doing so, scientists can control the path and speed of the particles, allowing for a wide range of applications.