Dynamics trajectory motion help

In summary, the problem involves finding the initial speed of a car in a movie scene where it goes over a ramp and lands a distance of 180 feet away. The angles of the ramp are given as \alpha =15° and \beta = 30°, and aerodynamic effects can be ignored. The hint for the problem suggests finding the intersection of the parabolic trajectory and a line with a slope determined by tanβ. The equations for motion under constant acceleration (with g = 32.2 ft/sec) should be used to solve the problem.
UCF_Martin

Homework Statement

"In a movie scene involving a car chase, a car goes over the top of ramp A and lands a B below. Determine the speed of the car at A if the car is to cover distance d=180ft for [itex]\alpha[/itex] =15° and [itex]\beta[/itex] = 30°. Neglect aerodynamic effects.

Homework Equations

Word.doc is the problem picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the distance the car moves the in X, and falls in the Y. But other than that I am rather lost mathematically.

The hint for the problem states: "The required initial speed can be found from the intersection of the parabolic trajectory and the straight line whose slope in determined by tanβ"

Only problem is I have no idea as to what line tanβ is the slope of.

Attachments

• Doc1.docx
    170.6 KB · Views: 336
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi UCF_Martin,

As the car becomes airborne at point A, two things happen: (i) it continues to travel horizontally with the same horizontal component of speed as it had at point A, and (ii) its vertical motion is controlled by gravity.

You should be able to quote in your sleep a set of equations describing motion under a constant acceleration (g = 32.2 ft/sec).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Dynamics trajectory motion help

1. What is dynamics trajectory motion?

Dynamics trajectory motion is the study of the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It involves understanding how the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object change over time.

2. How is dynamics trajectory motion different from regular motion?

Dynamics trajectory motion takes into account the forces acting on an object, while regular motion only considers the motion itself. Dynamics trajectory motion is also more complex, as it involves analyzing the changing acceleration of an object.

3. What are some common examples of dynamics trajectory motion?

Some common examples include the motion of a ball falling under the force of gravity, the motion of a car accelerating and decelerating, and the motion of a pendulum swinging back and forth.

4. How can I calculate the trajectory of an object in dynamics motion?

The trajectory of an object in dynamics motion can be calculated using the equations of motion, which involve the object's initial position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be solved using calculus or through numerical methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of dynamics trajectory motion?

Dynamics trajectory motion is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to design and analyze structures and machines, understand the behavior of objects in space, and predict the path of projectiles such as missiles or rockets.