Dynamics/ Simple Harmonic motion help

In summary: The work-energy theorem states that the total energy of a system is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy of its constituent parts. In this problem, the kinetic and potential energy of the block are the mg force and the spring constant, respectively. The work done by the friction between the block and the incline is μk. Therefore, the total energy of the system is μk + kG (the energy of the mg force) + k(100N/m)(the kinetic energy of the block). The expression for the work-energy theorem is W= -(μk+kG)
SpIIIdD
Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I'll just post my question- hopefully someone can answer.

A 2.00 kg block situated on a rough incline is connected to a spring of negligible mass having a spring constant of 100 n/m. The pulley is frictionless. The block is released from rest when the spring is un-stretched. The block moves 20 cm down th incline before coming to rest. Find the coefficient of friction between the block and incline.

m= 2 kg
d (delta x)= 20 cm (or 0.2 m)
k= 100 N/m
angle to the horizontal, theta= 37 deg.
coef of Fk= ?

a relevant equation, i think, for this problem is coef of Fk= Fk/Fn (normal force) but I'm not 100% sure about anything else.

So first i tried to draw the full body diagram of the forces of that are acting on the block.
The mg force points straight down, the kinetic frictional force should point diagonally to the left and the normal force points diagonally upward (parallel to the surface of contact where the block rests).
However, I'm not exactly sure what the force going diagonally to the right and downward- opposite to the force of kinetic friciton going opposite the direction at movement. I thought maybe that the force would be the force exerted by the string, Fx, but when i conceptually try to calculate it (with the formula Fx= -kx or kx ) i seem to obtain 0 (since the spring is being uncompressed and therefore returning to equilibrium, k should equal 0? (and multiply then by x- 0.2- and the answer is zero or have i got it wrong)?

I'm just generally confused as to how to continue with this ques and am wondering maybe there's something worng with my reasoning. I know that what I've done should be folowed up by solving a system of equations to get the final value but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
SpIIIdD said:
The mg force points straight down, the kinetic frictional force should point diagonally to the left
I hope you mean parallel to the incline.
and the normal force points diagonally upward (parallel to the surface of contact where the block rests).
You mean perpendicular to the surface of contact. That's what "normal" means.
However, I'm not exactly sure what the force going diagonally to the right and downward- opposite to the force of kinetic friciton going opposite the direction at movement.
What force would that be?

Anyway, I think it would be easier to tackle this problem by using the work-energy theorem or total (not just mechanical) energy conservation.

kuruman said:
I hope you mean parallel to the incline.

You mean perpendicular to the surface of contact. That's what "normal" means.

What force would that be?

Anyway, I think it would be easier to tackle this problem by using the work-energy theorem or total (not just mechanical) energy conservation.

ok, so i drew two different free- body diagrams- one for the block statically in position and another one for it in movement. I derived the formula to determine thr coef of kinetic friction: mewk= Fk/FN. I'm not exactly sure how to apply the work energy theorem to solve this problem since I'm not looking for work and there isn't the coef of kinetic friction in the formula (?). Particularly I'm not sure how to utilize the spring constant and the known displacement to solve the problem.
Can someone give me a further hint?

The work-energy theorem can be used for things other than just finding work. Don't forget that friction does work therefore μk appears in the work done by friction, so if you apply the work-energy theorem you will have an equation with μk in it.

What does the work-energy theorem say? What is an expression for it? How many forces do work and what are the corresponding expressions?

Last edited:

Hello! It looks like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved in this problem, but you may just need a bit more guidance in applying them. Let's break this down step by step.

First, you are correct in identifying the relevant equation for finding the coefficient of friction. Remember that the normal force is equal to the component of the weight (mg) that is perpendicular to the incline, so you can use trigonometry to find the normal force in terms of the weight and the angle of the incline.

Next, let's consider the forces acting on the block. As you mentioned, there is the weight (mg) acting straight down, the normal force (Fn) acting perpendicular to the incline, and the kinetic friction force (Fk) acting parallel to the incline. There is also the force exerted by the spring (Fx) which you correctly identified as being opposite to the direction of motion. However, this force is not equal to 0. Remember that the spring is initially compressed, so when it is released, it will push the block in the direction of motion. This force is equal to kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. In this case, x is equal to the distance the block has moved down the incline, 0.2 m.

Now, we can set up our system of equations to solve for the coefficient of friction. We know that the sum of the forces in the x-direction must be equal to the mass times the acceleration in the x-direction (which is 0, since the block is not moving in that direction). So we have:

Fx - Fk = 0

We also know that the sum of the forces in the y-direction must be equal to the mass times the acceleration in the y-direction (which is also 0). So we have:

Fn - mg = 0

Now we can substitute in our expressions for Fx and Fn:

kx - Fk = 0
Fn - mg = 0

Next, we can use the equation you identified, coef of Fk = Fk/Fn, to solve for the coefficient of friction. We can rearrange the first equation to solve for Fk, and then substitute into the second equation:

Fk = kx
Fn = mg

coef of Fk = (kx)/Fn = (kx)/(mg)

Finally, we

Related to Dynamics/ Simple Harmonic motion help

1. What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces in relation to the objects or systems that are causing the motion.

2. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in a back and forth motion that repeats itself over time.

3. What is the difference between dynamics and kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, whereas dynamics takes into account the forces and their effects on the motion of an object or system.

4. How is simple harmonic motion mathematically described?

Simple harmonic motion can be described by the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass attached to a spring.