Dynamics: Relative Acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving vector triangles and the correct way to construct them in order to solve for the correct answer. The person initially misunderstood a concept and used the Law of Cosines to obtain a value, but upon reflection realized that the vector triangle should have been drawn differently. The expert advises to construct the vectors ##\vec a_A - \vec a_B## by adding ##\vec a_A## and ##(-\vec a_B)## together.
Master1022

Homework Statement

The problem is in the image attached below
IMG_6185.JPG

2. Homework Equations

In the working below (although I think I have misunderstood a concept)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is in the attached image.
IMG_6186.jpg

I tried to leave the numbers out until the end. I have not written the exact working as I did it in draft elsewhere. I used the Law of Cosines on the vector triangle, in order to obtain [itex] \vec v_{A/B} [/itex], which came out as 2.057544... m/s. But that is not the correct answer.

Upon reflection, I have realized that I was supposed to draw the vector triangle such that the angle between [itex] - \vec v_{B} [/itex] and [itex] \vec v_{A} [/itex] is obtuse. How should one decide on how to draw the vector triangle?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_6186.jpg
    IMG_6186.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_6185.JPG
    IMG_6185.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to construct ##\vec a_A - \vec a_B##, which is the same as ##\vec a_A + (- \vec a_B)##. So, your diagram should show ##\vec a_A## and ## (- \vec a_B)## added together.

TSny said:
You need to construct ##\vec a_A - \vec a_B##, which is the same as ##\vec a_A + (- \vec a_B)##. So, your diagram should show ##\vec a_A## and ## (- \vec a_B)## added together.
Thanks for your response, it makes sense now.

Related to Dynamics: Relative Acceleration

1. What is relative acceleration?

Relative acceleration is the change in velocity of an object with respect to another object.

2. How is relative acceleration different from absolute acceleration?

Relative acceleration takes into account the motion of one object with respect to another, while absolute acceleration measures the change in velocity of an object in a fixed reference frame.

3. What factors can affect relative acceleration?

The relative acceleration of two objects can be affected by their masses, distance between them, and the forces acting on them.

4. How is relative acceleration calculated?

Relative acceleration can be calculated by subtracting the acceleration of one object from the acceleration of another object.

5. Why is relative acceleration important in the study of dynamics?

Relative acceleration is important in understanding the relationships between objects in motion. It allows us to analyze the effects of forces and their impact on the motion of objects in relation to each other.