Dynamics Question Involving two blocks on a plane

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a system of two blocks on an inclined plane, and the attempt at solving it using a free body diagram and equations. The main topic is the forces of friction and how they play a role in the solution.
James 94

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/K2hYHgq.png
Picture here with question.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For the system to begin moving, a>0 therefore

Fnet>0

I drew some FBDs and came up with four relevant forces total; the force of gravity along the plane for each of the two blocks, and the force of friction on the plane by m1 and m2, and the force of friction on m1 by m2. I ended up with something like this (g is cancelled):

m2sinx - m1 sinx - um1cosx - u(m1+m2)cosx > 0

tan x > (2um1+um2)/(m2-m1)

And solved for x from there.

However, my answer is wrong. I think I'm getting stuck with the forces of friction, the denominator in my expression (m2-m1) seems very reasonable considering the system should act similarly to a block of mass m2-m1 with the extra force of friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If your equation is from a FBD of m1 you may want to reconsider which mass is involved in the expression for the frictional force. (hint: if the system is not moving, can the force of friction then depend on m2?)

Last edited:

Related to Dynamics Question Involving two blocks on a plane

1. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of the two blocks?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of the two blocks is a = (m1 - m2)gsinθ / (m1 + m2).

2. How does the angle of the plane affect the acceleration of the blocks?

The acceleration of the blocks is directly proportional to the angle of the plane. As the angle increases, the acceleration also increases.

3. Can the mass of the blocks affect their acceleration?

Yes, the mass of the blocks does affect their acceleration. The heavier block will have a greater force pulling it down the plane, resulting in a greater acceleration.

4. How does the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the plane affect their acceleration?

The coefficient of friction affects the magnitude of the force acting on the blocks. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater force and therefore a greater acceleration.

5. Is there a maximum acceleration that the blocks can reach on the plane?

Yes, there is a maximum acceleration that the blocks can reach on the plane. This is determined by the angle of the plane and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the plane.