Dynamics Problem: Determine Velocity and Acceleration of Rigid body

In summary, it is a valid approach for the speeds, but I think it is easier to get them by writing the coordinates of the points as functions of the angle and differentiating.
owlwise2010
Homework Statement
Determine Velocity and Acceleration of Rigid body: omega=40 w=4rad/s alpha=2rad/s2
Relevant Equations
v=rw
a=rw2
Hello,

Wanted to know if this was the correct approach to solve this example. I uploaded the question along with an attempt.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    12.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Attempted (2).PNG
    Attempted (2).PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 289
Physics news on Phys.org
owlwise2010 said:
Problem Statement: Determine Velocity and Acceleration of Rigid body: omega=40 w=4rad/s alpha=2rad/s2
Relevant Equations: v=rw
a=rw2

if this was the correct approach
It is a valid approach for the speeds, but I think it is easier to get them by writing the coordinates of the points as functions of the angle and differentiating.
I get a different value for CE.

But you cannot use this instantaneous centre of rotation approach for the acceleration.

Likes collinsmark
owlwise2010 said:
Problem Statement: Determine Velocity and Acceleration of Rigid body: omega=40 w=4rad/s alpha=2rad/s2
Relevant Equations: v=rw
a=rw2

Hello,

Wanted to know if this was the correct approach to solve this example. I uploaded the question along with an attempt.

Thanks in advance.
Throughout this post I'm assuming that point A is constrained to the x-axis and point B is constrained to the y-axis.

Here are a few things to consider:

If we take the numerical figures given at face value, with [itex] \theta = 40^o [/itex] and [itex] \omega = 4 \ \mathrm{\frac{rad}{sec}} [/itex], and assuming [itex] \omega [/itex] is defined as the time derivative of [itex] \theta [/itex], it means that [itex] \theta [/itex] is increasing, not decreasing. The block is not sliding down by gravity under its own volition, rather it is being shoved up against the wall! It means point A is moving to the left, not the right. At least that's true if we take the given figures at face value. If instead the box were sliding down, [itex] \omega [/itex] should be negative.

Although point C is constrained, it's not constrained to the x-axis. In other words, point C's position, [itex] v_C [/itex] and [itex] a_C [/itex] all have both x- and y-components.

Acceleration is kind of tricky here. There is acceleration not just due to the box's rotation, but also the box's translation. Be prepared to use the product rule differentiating the velocity to obtain the acceleration, as this should make it relatively straightforward -- proper use of the product rule takes care of the rotational vs. translational distinction automatically.

Follow @haruspex's advice. It's good advice. :smile:

[Edit: Although I didn't mention it, you will need to use the chain rule when differentiating too.]

Last edited:

Related to Dynamics Problem: Determine Velocity and Acceleration of Rigid body

What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is a theoretical object that does not deform or bend when subjected to external forces. It is used in physics to simplify the analysis of motion and is often represented as a point mass or a collection of point masses connected by rigid rods or springs.

How do you determine the velocity of a rigid body?

The velocity of a rigid body can be determined by finding the change in position of the body over time. This can be calculated using the formula v = Δx/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

What is acceleration in relation to a rigid body?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity of a rigid body. It can be calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is the acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

How do you find the average velocity of a rigid body?

The average velocity of a rigid body can be found by dividing the total displacement of the body by the total time taken. This can be represented by the formula vavg = Δx/Δt, where vavg is the average velocity, Δx is the total displacement, and Δt is the total time taken.

What factors can affect the velocity and acceleration of a rigid body?

The velocity and acceleration of a rigid body can be affected by external forces such as gravity, friction, and applied forces. The mass and shape of the body can also affect its velocity and acceleration. Additionally, the presence of other objects or surfaces in the body's path can cause changes in its velocity and acceleration.