Dynamics of uniform circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving centripetal acceleration in vertical circular motion. A special electronic sensor is used to measure the normal force exerted on a rider on a loop-the-loop ride at an amusement park. The sensor records a normal force of 770 N when the rider is level and stationary before the ride starts, and 350 N when the rider is upside down and moving at the top of the loop. With a given radius of 21 m, the speed of the rider at the top of the loop is calculated to be 17.3 m/s using the formula for centripetal acceleration.
bulbasaur88
A special electronic sensor is embedded in the seat of a car that takes riders around a circular loop-the-loop ride at an amusement park. The sensor measures the magnitude of the normal force that the seat exerts on a rider. The loop-the-loop ride is in the vertical plane and its radius is 21 m. Sitting on the seat before the ride starts, a rider is level and stationary, and the electronic sensor reads 770 N. At the top of the loop the rider is upside down and moving, and the sensor reads 350 N. What is the speed of the rider at the top of the loop?

I think this problem is a great problem for centripetal acceleration in vertical circular motion; however, I cannot check to see if I understand the concept behind the problem because there is no answer provided. Could someone please let me know if at least my set-up is correct?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Given
R = 21 meters
W = 770 N
m = 770/9.8 kg
FN = 350 N at the top

At the top:
Fc = mg + FN = mv2 / R
R[FN + mg] = mv2

Plug-n-Chug to solve for V
V = 17.3 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked the numbers, but your set up looks fine to me :approve:

FANTASTIC THANK YOU :biggrin:

Related to Dynamics of uniform circular motion

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at a constant speed but changing direction continuously, creating a circular motion.

2. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path, keeping the object moving in a circular motion. It is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity, but not its speed.

3. How is uniform circular motion different from linear motion?

In linear motion, the object moves along a straight line at a constant speed, while in uniform circular motion, the object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. Additionally, in linear motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are in the same direction, while in circular motion, they are perpendicular to each other.

4. What is the relationship between speed and radius in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object is directly proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that if the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa. This is because a larger radius requires a greater speed to cover the same distance in the same amount of time.

5. How is centripetal force related to the mass and velocity of the object in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity. This means that as the mass or velocity of the object increases, the centripetal force also increases. This relationship is described by the equation Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius.