Dynamics & Kinematics Assignment Question. Am I on the right track?

In summary, the astronauts use a 3500-kg space tug to pull on a 6200-kg asteroid with a force of 490 N. Initially at rest and 450 m apart, the tug and asteroid will meet after 64.11 seconds, as calculated using the equation d = Vot + 1/2at^2.
Mohammed17
1. At a time when mining asteroids has become feasible, astronauts have connected a line between their 3500-kg space tug and a 6200-kg asteroid. Using their tug's engine, they pull on the asteroid with a force of 490 N. Initially the tug and the asteroid are at rest, 450 m apart. How much time does it take for the tug and the asteroid to meet?

G:

Ok so I know that the 3500 kg space tug (exerting 490 N on the asteroid) will also feel a force exerted on it by the 6200 kg asteroid (Newton's third law) of -490 N (or a pull of 490 N on the itself by the asteroid).
I also know that the distance is 450 meters between the asteroid and the space-tug. This will help me later on in the kinematic portion.

I know that Vo (Initial Velocity) is 0 for both. I also know that they both will experience a velocity towards each other once they start to tug on the asteroid.

I don't know whether to use Sigma Fx = m*a
and go from there... I tried that but in the end I have two variables: aST and aAsteroid
or should I just say that 490 N = Mass of ST*acceleration of ST
ad 490 N = Mass of Asteroid*acceleration of Asteroid

So you get:

490 N / 3500 kg = 0.14 m/s^2 = Acceleration of spacetug
and
490 N / 6200 kg = 0.079 m/s^2 = Acceleration of Asteroid\

Then where do I go from there?

Do I plug it into:

d = Vot + 1/2at^2 I know Vo = 0
450 m = 0 + 1/2at^2
450 m = 1/2(Acceleration of Space Tug + Acceleration of Asteroid)^2
SquareRoot of [(2 x 450 m)/(0.14 + 0.079)] = t

I got t = 64.106 seconds

THerefore, they will meet each other after 64.11 seconds. Is that correct?

Please help. Thank you.

- Mohammed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think you're right. I would apply the same method.

Ambidext said:
Think you're right. I would apply the same method.

thanks.

Related to Dynamics & Kinematics Assignment Question. Am I on the right track?

1. How can I determine if my calculations for the dynamics and kinematics assignment are correct?

The best way to determine if your calculations are correct is to double-check your work and make sure you are using the correct formulas and units. You can also compare your results with sample solutions or ask a classmate or instructor to review your work.

2. What are the key differences between dynamics and kinematics?

Dynamics deals with the forces that cause motion, while kinematics focuses on the motion itself, without considering the forces involved. In other words, dynamics explains why an object moves, while kinematics describes how it moves.

3. How can I apply the concepts of dynamics and kinematics in real-world scenarios?

Dynamics and kinematics are important concepts in physics that are used to understand and predict the motion of objects in the real world. These concepts are often applied in fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation, among others.

4. Can you give an example of a problem that involves both dynamics and kinematics?

One example of a problem that involves both dynamics and kinematics is calculating the trajectory of a projectile. In order to determine the path of the projectile, you need to consider the forces acting on it (dynamics) as well as the initial velocity and acceleration (kinematics).

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving dynamics and kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving dynamics and kinematics problems include using incorrect formulas, not paying attention to units, and not considering all the forces acting on an object. It's important to carefully read the problem and double-check your work to avoid these errors.