Dynamics Coursework; Angular Velocity, Springs, Force

In summary: T:In summary, the flat circular disc is rotating at a constant angular velocity of 240rpm and has two 0.5kg sliding blocks attached to springs with a stiffness of 400N/m. With no friction and neglecting the mass of the springs, the value of x for each spring can be determined and the normal force N exerted by the side of the slot on the block can be calculated. The relevant equations for this problem are yet to be identified, but it is clear that there are multiple forces at play in the rotating reference frame. The normal reaction force will always balance the horizontal component of the radial force as the block is constrained to move in the vertical by the slot.
DTskkaii
Question:
The flat circular disc rotates about a vertical axis through O with a constant angular velocity of 240rpm. Prior to rotation, each of the 0.5kg sliding blocks has the position x=25mm with no force in its attached spring. Each spring has a stiffness of 400N/m, Neglect any friction between the blocks and the slots, and neglect the mass of the springs.

(a) Determine the value of x for each spring
(b) Calculate the normal force N exerted by the side of the slot on the block

I have attached the diagram.

Relevant equations
Not yet completely sure. If someone knows of a resource towards rotational velocity, that would be helpful, but I will update this section as soon as I have identified appropriate equations.
The attempt at a solution
As per above, I will upload something as soon as I can get a solid attempt down. I'm honestly incredibly lost on this question, it just seems like there are so many aspects happening at once.

Attachments

• dyna3.jpg
    dyna3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
Mathematics news on Phys.org
DTskkaii said:
Question:
The flat circular disc rotates about a vertical axis through O with a constant angular velocity of 240rpm. Prior to rotation, each of the 0.5kg sliding blocks has the position x=25mm with no force in its attached spring. Each spring has a stiffness of 400N/m, Neglect any friction between the blocks and the slots, and neglect the mass of the springs.

(a) Determine the value of x for each spring
(b) Calculate the normal force N exerted by the side of the slot on the block

I have attached the diagram.

Relevant equations
Not yet completely sure. If someone knows of a resource towards rotational velocity, that would be helpful, but I will update this section as soon as I have identified appropriate equations.
The attempt at a solution
As per above, I will upload something as soon as I can get a solid attempt down. I'm honestly incredibly lost on this question, it just seems like there are so many aspects happening at once.

In the rotating reference frame you have the following forces acting on the left hand block (the motion of the other is the same after the appropriate transformation):

A radially outward (ficticious) force \(m r \omega^2 \).

The normal reaction force from the side of the slot \(N\) in the +ve horizontal direction.

The spring force \(k(x-25)\) in the -ve vertical direction.

Since the block is constrained to move in the vertical by the slot the normal reaction will always balance the horizontal component of the radial force.

CB

Related to Dynamics Coursework; Angular Velocity, Springs, Force

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of rotation. The linear velocity of a point on a rotating object can be calculated by multiplying the angular velocity by the radius of rotation.

What is Hooke's Law and how is it related to springs?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the extension or compression of the spring. This means that the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it exerts. Springs follow this law, making them useful in many applications such as shock absorbers and door hinges.

What is the difference between tension and compression in a spring?

Tension refers to the force applied to stretch a spring, while compression refers to the force applied to compress a spring. These forces are equal in magnitude but act in opposite directions. The direction of the force determines whether the spring is experiencing tension or compression.

How does force affect the motion of an object?

Force is responsible for changes in the motion of an object. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.