Dynamics And Kinematics Problem

In summary, my friend took a note in which it was the same question and he wrote down 78m.. I've done this question by myself to check everything but it bothers me the answer was wrong on the note he took, can some one infrom me if this is the correct way and if i have the correct answer to this problem please?
Plutonium88

Homework Statement

Given: m = 17kg Vi = 0 Fa=42N θ=25 Mu=0.15 T=125s

Diagram: http://s14.postimage.org/euy3whikh/New_Bitmap_Image.png

Find: Δd

a block accellerates from rest for 125s find the displacement. Frictional forces act on the block.
A force applied is 25 degrees above the horizontal. Find the displacement

Homework Equations

Fnet=Ma
Δ=vit+a/2(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnety=Fn + FaSin25 -Fg = 0

Fn= Fg - FaSin25

Fnetx=mAx=FaCos25 - Ffr

Ffr=Mu*Fn

Ffr= Mu*(Fg - FaSin25)

mAx = Facos25 - Mu*(Fg-FaSin25)

Ax= (Facos25 - Mu*(Fg-Fasin25))/m

Ax= 0.93 m/s^2 [--->]

Δd = vit + Ax/2(t)^2

Δd = + Ax/2(t)^2

answer: Δd = 7265.63 m

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but my friend took a note in which it was the same question and he wrote down 78m.. I've done this question by myself to check everything but it bothers me the answer was wrong on the note he took, can some one infrom me if this is the correct way and if i have the correct answer to this problem please?

Did i not take something into account maybe..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only fault I can find in your working is that you cut Ax off at two decimal places then used it to get an answer you quote to 6. (7232 m is closer.)
For the block to travel only 78 m in 125 secs the acceleration would have to be tiny. Even if you neglect the sin theta term it still gives 6000m.

haruspex said:
The only fault I can find in your working is that you cut Ax off at two decimal places then used it to get an answer you quote to 6. (7232 m is closer.)
For the block to travel only 78 m in 125 secs the acceleration would have to be tiny. Even if you neglect the sin theta term it still gives 6000m.

Thank you very much for checking this out for me i appreciate it very much. This settles my uneasiness about the question llol.

Related to Dynamics And Kinematics Problem

What is the difference between dynamics and kinematics?

Dynamics is the study of the forces and motion of objects, while kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion, also known as Newton's laws, are:
1) An object in motion will stay in motion and an object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force.
2) The force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.
3) For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measurement of how fast an object is traveling, while velocity is the measurement of how fast an object is traveling in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both speed and direction, while speed does not.

How do you solve a dynamics and kinematics problem?

To solve a dynamics and kinematics problem, you will need to identify the known and unknown variables, apply the appropriate equations (such as Newton's laws or kinematic equations), and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. It is important to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown variables to help visualize the problem and determine the appropriate equations to use.