Dynamic Systems: Calculating Boom Crane's Transfer Motion

In summary: The boom crane with a bucket attached at the end has an angle of 60 degrees. The weight of the bucket with a man in it is 200 kg. The mass of the boom is acting at the center of the boom (length of the boom is 10 meters) and is 600 kg. The stiffness of the boom modeled by a rotational spring attached at the boom hinge is 3 x 10^5 Nm/rad. The cylinder attached to lift the boom 1 meter from the boom hinge has an stiffness of K= 4 x 10^6 Nm and a damper. The natural frequency of the boom crane is 5.7 rad/s.
karuthamma
There is boom crane with a bucket attached at the end. The angle of the boom "theta" is 60 degree. The weight of the bucket with a man in it is 200Kg. The mass of the boom is acting at centre of the boom (length of the boom is 10m) is 600 Kg.

There is a cylinder attached to lift the boom 1m from the boom hinge. The hinge of the cylinder is (0.5, -0.3) with respect to the boom hinge (0,0).

Stiffness of the boom modeled by a rotational spring attached at boom hinge is 3x10^5 Nm/rad.

The Cylinder modeled as spring (K= 4x10^6 Nm)and a damper

Assume, 1degree freedom for the oscillation of the crane.

(i)Find Diff. eqn. using Newtons 2nd law of rotational motion at boom's hinge
(ii)Crane natural frequency
(iii)Derive the transfer motion for angular motion as function of wind force F (F=500N, constant & normal to the boom)

I HAVE DONE MY CAL. BUT PLEASE HELP ME IN GUIDING THE APPROACH.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help if you actually posted the work you have done. Otherwise we're not going to know your approach or how to help you.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the diagram and my work for your ref.

Thanx

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 464
  • My Work 1 of 2.jpg
    My Work 1 of 2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 441
  • My Work 2 of 2.jpg
    My Work 2 of 2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 416
Hello,

Please answer me.

Thanx

I realize that the problem statement said to use Newton's Second law to formulate the system equation, and in principle that should be sufficient. That does not always make it the easiest way to work the problem, however, and in this case I don't thing it is. The thing that makes this problem more difficult is the manner in which the hydraulic cylinder enters into the situation, and the fact that the cylinder loads act at such a strange angle to the rest of the system.

I worked through the formulation using an energy method called Eksergian's Method (you could also use the Lagrange equation to get the same result). The benefit of doing that is that it forces you to focus first on the kinematics of the problem, and in particular of the cylinder, and then deal later with the kinetics.

What I found is that the system is actually somewhat nonlinear, with a term proportional to the square of the vibratory displacement, and that would be hard to put together from a Newton's Law perspective (at least I think it would), but it falls out very directly from the energy approach.

Ignoring the squared term in the displacement and the damping term, I got an undamped natural frequency of approximately 5.7 rad/s. Do you have any results to compare to this?

Related to Dynamic Systems: Calculating Boom Crane's Transfer Motion

1. What is a dynamic system?

A dynamic system is a system that changes over time. It can be described using mathematical equations that represent the relationships between the system's inputs, outputs, and internal components. In the context of boom crane transfer motion calculations, a dynamic system refers to the movement of the crane's boom as it transfers a load from one location to another.

2. Why is it important to calculate boom crane transfer motion?

Calculating the transfer motion of a boom crane is important for several reasons. First, it ensures the safety of the crane operator and anyone in the surrounding area by determining the optimal path for the crane's movement. Second, it helps to optimize the efficiency of the transfer process by minimizing the time and effort required. And finally, accurate calculations can prevent damage to the crane or the load being transferred.

3. What factors are considered when calculating boom crane transfer motion?

There are several factors that must be taken into account when calculating boom crane transfer motion. These include the weight and dimensions of the load, the length and capacity of the crane's boom, the terrain and environmental conditions, and any potential obstacles or obstructions in the crane's path. The crane's load chart and operator's manual are valuable resources for obtaining this information.

4. How are dynamic systems used in the calculation of boom crane transfer motion?

Dynamic systems are used in the calculation of boom crane transfer motion by modeling the crane's movement as a system of differential equations. These equations take into account the various forces acting on the crane, such as gravity, wind, and friction, and use them to determine the crane's trajectory and required velocities. Solving these equations allows for the prediction of the crane's motion and the determination of any necessary adjustments to ensure safe and efficient transfer.

5. What are some common challenges in calculating boom crane transfer motion?

Some common challenges in calculating boom crane transfer motion include accurately accounting for all relevant forces and variables, ensuring that the crane's load remains within its capacity limits, and accounting for potential changes in the load's weight or position during transfer. Additionally, the precision and accuracy of the calculations can be affected by factors such as equipment wear and tear, operator error, and changing environmental conditions.