Dynamic Programming - World Series Probability Example

In summary, the equation for calculating the probability of team A winning a game against team B, taking into account the possibility of a tie, is P(i,j) = pP(i-1,j) + qP(i, j-1) + rP(i-1,j-1). This equation can be used to determine the overall probability of team A winning the series against team B, where each team needs n wins to win the series.
dba

Homework Statement

Two teams A and B play at most 2n-1 games. For any match there is a constant probability p that A wins and a constant probability q=1-p that B wins.
P(i,j) is the probability that A wins; A needs i more wins to win and b needs j more wins to win.
At the begin the probability for team A to win is P(n,n) and both teams need n wins to win.
If A needs 0 more wins, a already won, P(0,j). The same for B P(i,0)

So we can write
P(i,j) = pP(i-1,j) + qP(i, j-1)

Now we need to add a probability r for the game to be a tie (it counts as a win for nobody)

Homework Equations

p+q+r=1

The Attempt at a Solution

Let k be the number of games the teams still need to play. If we have n=4 we would have 8 games to play i+j=k
P(i,j) = pP(i-1,j) + qP(i, j-1)
So after one game played we still have 7 games. i-1+j =k-1 and i+j-1 = k-1
I am not sure how to implement r so that I get my k-1=7
P(i,j) = pP(i-1,j) + qP(i, j-1) + rP(i,j)
because P(i,j) would still result in k not in k-1

Thanks for any hint.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. To include the probability of a tie, we can modify the equation as follows:

P(i,j) = pP(i-1,j) + qP(i, j-1) + rP(i-1,j-1)

This accounts for the possibility of a tie in both teams needing to win one less game. In your example with n=4, we would have k-1=7 games left to play, and the equation would become:

P(i,j) = pP(i-1,j) + qP(i, j-1) + rP(i-1,j-1)
= pP(i-2,j) + qP(i-1, j-1) + rP(i-2,j-1) + pP(i-1,j-1) + qP(i, j-2) + rP(i-1,j-2) + rP(i-2,j-2)

This takes into account all possible scenarios for the remaining games, including ties. I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

Related to Dynamic Programming - World Series Probability Example

What is dynamic programming?

Dynamic programming is a problem-solving technique in computer science and mathematics that involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller subproblems and using the solutions to these subproblems to solve the larger problem efficiently.

How does dynamic programming apply to the World Series probability example?

In the World Series probability example, dynamic programming is used to calculate the probability of a team winning the series based on the outcomes of each game. It breaks down the problem of predicting the series outcome into smaller subproblems- the probability of winning each individual game- and uses these probabilities to calculate the overall probability of winning the series.

What is the advantage of using dynamic programming for this problem?

The advantage of using dynamic programming for the World Series probability example is that it allows for a more efficient and accurate solution compared to other methods. By breaking down the problem into smaller subproblems and using the solutions to these subproblems, dynamic programming can avoid unnecessary calculations and provide a more accurate probability estimation.

What are the limitations of using dynamic programming for this problem?

One limitation of using dynamic programming for the World Series probability example is that it only works for problems that can be broken down into smaller subproblems with overlapping solutions. If the problem does not have this property, then dynamic programming may not be the most efficient solution.

What are some real-world applications of dynamic programming?

Dynamic programming has various real-world applications, including speech recognition, DNA sequencing, data compression, and robot motion planning. It is also commonly used in finance, economics, and biology to solve optimization problems.