Dynamic Equilibrium Question (block sliding on wall)

In summary, the problem involves a 2.0kg wooden box sliding down a vertical wooden wall at a constant speed when pushed at a 45 degree angle. To find the necessary force, the equations for net force in the x and y directions are set up, taking into account the forces of friction, gravity, and the push force. The normal force is found to be F_push*cos45, and using this in the equation for net force in the y direction, the push force is calculated to be approximately 23 N.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq230/JJBladester/06_p51.jpg?t=1223753179

The 2.0kg wood box in the figure slides down a vertical wood wall while you push on it at a 45 degree angle.

What magnitude of force should you apply to cause the box to slide down at a constant speed?

Homework Equations

I am having a hard time figuring out the normal force in this problem.

I have set the problem up with four forces (f_k (friction), F_g (gravity), n (normal), F_push (push)). I got the coefficient of friction (f_k) as 0.20 from my textbook.

Fnet(x) = F_push(x) + F_g(x) + n + f_k(x)
Fnet(x) = F_push*cos(45) + 0 + n + 0

Fnet(y) = F_push(y) + F_g(y) + f_k(y)
Fnet(y) = F_push*sin(45) + (2.0)(9.8) -[0.20*2.0*(sin(45)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the normal force acts perpendicular to the surface, so their should be no n in the y-direction. I'm stuck in finding the normal force in the x-direction and I believe this is the missing link in me figuring out this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JJBladester said:

Homework Statement

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq230/JJBladester/06_p51.jpg?t=1223753179

The 2.0 wood box in the figure slides down a vertical wood wall while you push on it at a 45 degree angle.

What magnitude of force should you apply to cause the box to slide down at a constant speed?

Homework Equations

I am having a hard time figuring out the normal force in problem 6.51.

I have set the problem up with four forces (f_k (friction), F_g (gravity), n (normal), F_push (push)). I got the coefficient of friction (f_k) as 0.20 from my textbook.

Fnet(x) = F_push(x) + F_g(x) + n + f_k(x)
Fnet(x) = F_push*cos(45) + 0 + n + 0

Fnet(y) = F_push(y) + F_g(y) + f_k(y)
Fnet(y) = F_push*sin(45) + (2.0)(9.8) -[0.20*2.0*(sin(45)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the normal force acts perpendicular to the surface, so their should be no n in the y-direction. I'm stuck in finding the normal force in the x-direction and I believe this is the missing link in me figuring out this problem.

Welcome to PF.

Since the angle is 45 degrees, don't you know what the normal force is in terms of the force?

And isn't that really a part of the equation I highlighted and not the 2.0 as it relates to friction?

As in 2.0*(9.8) needs to balance with .2 * F * cos45 as well as the vertical component F * Sin45

Last edited:
LowlyPion,

Thanks for welcoming me to this site and thanks for your guidance.

Fnet(y) = f_k + F_g + F_push(y) = 0

Fnet(y) = 0.20*F_push*cos45 - (2.0)(9.8) + F_push(sin45) = 0
19.6 = 0.1414*F_push + 0.7071*F_push

Therefore, F_push is roughly 23 N.

Related to Dynamic Equilibrium Question (block sliding on wall)

1. What is dynamic equilibrium in the context of a block sliding on a wall?

Dynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which there is a balance between the forces acting on an object, resulting in no net change in the object's motion. In the context of a block sliding on a wall, this means that the forces acting on the block are equal and opposite, resulting in the block maintaining a constant velocity.

2. How do different forces affect the dynamic equilibrium of a block sliding on a wall?

The forces that act on a block sliding on a wall include friction, normal force, and gravity. If these forces are balanced, the block will remain in dynamic equilibrium. However, if one force is stronger than the others, the block's motion may change and it will no longer be in equilibrium.

3. How does the angle of the wall affect the dynamic equilibrium of a sliding block?

The angle of the wall can affect the dynamic equilibrium of a sliding block by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the block. For example, a steeper wall will result in a greater component of the force of gravity acting on the block, potentially disrupting the equilibrium.

4. How does the mass of the block affect its dynamic equilibrium on a sliding wall?

The mass of the block does not directly affect its dynamic equilibrium on a sliding wall. However, a heavier block may require a stronger force to keep it in equilibrium, as the force of gravity will be greater.

5. What factors can cause a block to lose its dynamic equilibrium while sliding on a wall?

A block may lose its dynamic equilibrium on a sliding wall if there is an unbalanced force acting on it, such as a stronger force of friction or a change in the angle of the wall. Additionally, external forces such as wind or vibrations can also disrupt the equilibrium of the block.