Dynamic Acceleration Problem: Finding Velocity at t = 6.5 s

• Thread starter B-80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamic
In summary, when given the acceleration of a particle along an x-axis, we can use the derivative a = dv/dt to find the velocity and then integrate again to find the position. The constant of integration must be taken into account when finding the position.
B-80
The acceleration of a particle along an x-axis is a = 5.0t, with t in seconds and a in meters per second squared. At t = 2.0 s, its velocity is +13 m/s. What is its velocity at t = 6.5 s?

I don't really know how to go about this, as it is a dynamic acceleration, any help would be greatly appreciated

so far all I have got is a=deltaV/deltaT

Physics news on Phys.org
B-80 said:
so far all I have got is a=deltaV/deltaT
That's OK for average acceleration, but for instantaneous acceleration use a derivative: [itex]a = dv/dt[/itex].

Given acceleration, how do you find velocity? Hint: Use a little calculus.

well I would multiply by the time passage, but again this only works for constant acell right? my problem is the derivative, I know how to do them, but i don't understand how that applies. the derivative of a is 5 right? that's great, but what do I do after that

If you were given v, you'd take its derivative to find a. But you have the opposite situation: You are given a and need to find v. What do you do?

integrate? so 2.5t^2=v

B-80 said:
integrate? so 2.5t^2=v
Good! But don't forget the constant of integration.

wow awesome thanks a lot.

Finding position

I have run across the same type of problem, but I am being asked what the position is. Below is what was given.

Acceleration of a point is a=20t m/s^2. When t=0, s=40 meters and v=-10 m/s. What is the position at t=3 sec?

I've used a=dv/dt to get the velocity, v=80 m/s.

I'm not sure were to start to get the position. Can you advise?

Thank you.

Using a=dv/dt, you integrated to get the velocity. But v = dx/dt, so integrate once again to get the position.

For velocity I got v=10t^2 + c, and pluged 3 in for t and -10 in for c. This gave me v=80 m/s.

If i integrate once more to get position I get s=(10t^3)/3+ct.

Am I correct with the constant?
Plug 3 in for t, and -10 in for c again.

I think I am getting confused with the constant.

Bingo1915 said:
For velocity I got v=10t^2 + c, and pluged 3 in for t and -10 in for c. This gave me v=80 m/s.
That's the velocity at t = 3; in general it's: v=10t^2 - 10.

If i integrate once more to get position I get s=(10t^3)/3+ct.
But you forgot the new constant of integration. (Hint: You are given the position at t = 0.)

Thats what I was forgetting.

Therefore s=(10t^3)/3+ct+d.

Where
t=3
c=-10
d=40

Thanks for the help.

Related to Dynamic Acceleration Problem: Finding Velocity at t = 6.5 s

1. What is a simple dynamic accell problem?

A simple dynamic accell problem is a physics problem that involves determining the acceleration of an object based on its initial velocity, final velocity, and displacement. It can also involve determining the force acting on the object.

2. How do you solve a simple dynamic accell problem?

To solve a simple dynamic accell problem, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. You can also use the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What units are used for acceleration in a simple dynamic accell problem?

The units for acceleration in a simple dynamic accell problem are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). This represents the change in velocity (m/s) over time (s).

4. How does mass affect acceleration in a simple dynamic accell problem?

In a simple dynamic accell problem, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. This means that a greater force is required to achieve the same acceleration for a more massive object compared to a less massive object.

5. Can a simple dynamic accell problem be solved without knowing the initial or final velocity?

Yes, a simple dynamic accell problem can be solved without knowing the initial or final velocity. In this case, you would need to know the applied force and the mass of the object, and then use the formula a = F/m to calculate the acceleration.