Duty cycle and frequency doubt

In summary, the conversation is about making modifications to a program that controls a flame machine and uses a PWM signal. The program is currently outputting a 20ms continuous flame at a 100% duty cycle and the person wants to modify it to have a continuous flame for at least 1 second. There is uncertainty about whether this is possible due to the current duty cycle and the person is seeking help, possibly with a visual aid. There is also a mention of flame detectors that were used for safety purposes in a fossil plant.
rama1001
Hello,
I am making some modifications in my programm that had written by someone. it is about a flame machine and AC mains frequency is 50Hz. Now, the program is working for outputting a 20ms continuous flame that means it is quiet clear that it was working at 100% duty cyle(not sure!). I want to make modifications in program to get atleast a continuous flame for 1second or more. I think it is not possible because of it is already working at full duty cycle(not sure!) or am i missing soemthing? The signal that i am working with is PWM. Can i get any help here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Program that puts out a flame? as in extinguish a flame or write to a USB blowtorch?

Not trying to be a wise guy here, just your question is not at all descriptive.

Can you slow down and help us understand what you have?

old jim

Me too, Jim. Just what is this about?

Firewire ?

Seriously, i didnt mean to chase him away...

Our fossil plant had some flame detectors that measured fluctuatuions in UV region if i recall... i'd be wary of tinkering with those as they were protective equipment on a boiler.

Related to Duty cycle and frequency doubt

1. What is the difference between duty cycle and frequency?

Duty cycle and frequency are two terms used to describe the behavior of a periodic signal. Duty cycle refers to the percentage of time that a signal is in the "on" state compared to the total time of one cycle. Frequency, on the other hand, refers to the number of cycles per second of a signal. In other words, duty cycle describes the proportion of time a signal is active, while frequency describes how often the signal repeats.

2. How are duty cycle and frequency related?

Duty cycle and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the duty cycle increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is based on the fact that the total time of one cycle remains constant, so when one value increases, the other must decrease to maintain this balance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for duty cycle and frequency?

The unit of measurement for duty cycle is percentage (%), while the unit of measurement for frequency is Hertz (Hz). Hertz is equivalent to cycles per second, so a frequency of 1 Hz means that the signal repeats once every second.

4. How are duty cycle and frequency used in practical applications?

Duty cycle and frequency are important concepts in fields such as engineering, electronics, and telecommunications. They are used to characterize and analyze periodic signals, such as electrical signals in circuits or radio waves in communication systems. Understanding these concepts is crucial for designing and troubleshooting these systems.

5. Can duty cycle and frequency be changed in a signal?

Yes, both duty cycle and frequency can be changed in a signal. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using electronic circuits to modify the signal or changing the source of the signal. Altering the duty cycle and frequency can have a significant impact on the behavior and characteristics of a signal and is often done to achieve specific goals in a system.