Dust Particles: RMS Speed Calculation (3*10^13 mm/s)

• Thread starter doggieslover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary, the problem is to calculate the rms speed of particles assuming them to be spheres of diameter 5µm and density 2g/cm3. The mass of the particle is given as 1.31 10-13 kg. Using the equation v_rms =√((3k_B*T)/(ρ*(4/3)*π*(d/2)^3)), with T = 290K, the answer obtained is 3*10^13 mm/s. However, after double checking, the correct answer is 0.3 mm/s. It is likely that a conversion error was made in the calculations.
doggieslover
calculate the rms (root-mean-square) speed v_rms of these particles, assuming them to be spheres of diameter 5 \; \mu {\rm m} and density 2 \; {\rm g}/{\rm cm}^3 = 2000 \; {\rm kg}/{\rm m^3}. The mass of such a dust particle is 1.31 \times 10^{-13} \; \rm kg.
Express your answer in millimeters per second to one decimal place only.

So I found out from the previous problem that the equation to use is:

v_rms =\sqrt{\left(\frac{\left(3k_{B}T\right)}{\left({\rho}\left(\frac{4}{3}\right){\pi}\left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^{3}\right)}\right)}

And after I plugged everything into the equation, I got 3*10^13 mm/s as the answer.

I am pretty sure that I converted everything to the right units, I double checked my work a few times already, I don't know what I 've done wrong.

Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi doggieslover! :smile:

Since nobody's replied in over 36 hours, maybe they can't read it … so here's a translation :rolleyes:
doggieslover said:
calculate the rms (root-mean-square) speed vrms of these particles, assuming them to be spheres of diameter 5µm and density 2g/cm3 = 2000kg/m3. The mass of such a dust particle is 1.31 10-13 kg.
Express your answer in millimeters per second to one decimal place only.

So I found out from the previous problem that the equation to use is:

[tex]v_{rms} \ =\ \sqrt{\left(\frac{\left(3k_{B}T\right)}{\left({\rho}\left(\frac{4}{3}\right){\pi}\left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^{3}\right)}\right)}[/tex]And after I plugged everything into the equation, I got 3*10^13 mm/s as the answer.

I am pretty sure that I converted everything to the right units, I double checked my work a few times already, I don't know what I 've done wrong.

Please help?

What did you use for T, and why? Do you understand the meaning of this formula?

T = 290K, it was given in a previous problem, I forgot to incorporate it in here.

I solved it already, the answer is .3mm/s, I probably just converted something wrong.

Related to Dust Particles: RMS Speed Calculation (3*10^13 mm/s)

1. What is the significance of calculating RMS speed for dust particles?

Calculating the RMS (root mean square) speed of dust particles allows us to understand the average velocity of these particles, which is important for studying their movement and behavior in different environments.

2. How is the RMS speed of dust particles calculated?

The RMS speed of dust particles is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared speeds of all particles in a given sample. This accounts for the varying speeds of individual particles and gives us a more accurate measure of their overall velocity.

3. Why is the RMS speed of dust particles expressed in units of mm/s?

The unit of mm/s (millimeters per second) is commonly used for measuring the speed of small particles such as dust, as it is a more appropriate scale for their relatively slow movement compared to larger objects.

4. Can the RMS speed of dust particles vary in different environments?

Yes, the RMS speed of dust particles can vary depending on the environment they are in. Factors such as air density, temperature, and particle size can affect their movement and thus their average velocity.

5. What is the typical range of RMS speed for dust particles?

The typical range of RMS speed for dust particles is around 1-100 mm/s, but this can vary greatly depending on the specific type of dust and its environment. Some dust particles may have much higher or lower RMS speeds, while others may have a more narrow range.