Dust accumulation and change of weight (or mass, or gravitation field)

In summary, the amount of debris accumulating on Earth from outer space is insignificant, and does not affect the trajectory of Earth. The rate of accumulation of weight is unknown, but it would take a very long time for the sun to lose its mass due to this.
bilha nissenson
I was wondering what is happening with Earth accumulating dust and other debris from outer space? This must change earth’s weight? What is the rate of this accumulation of weight? The same thing must be happening to the sun, surely in proportion to the gravity field of the sun, so probably all in all the balance of our planetary system is conserved, in spite the fact everything is getting heavier, but heavier than what? The same thing must happen everywhere else as well, so where can I read something about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say that meteor hits the Earth (and doesn't make much damage). Then both meteor and the Earth will act on us and pull us towards them, now with greater force than it was when the meteor was far away in the space. We'll do the same thing to them (according to Newton's 3rd law). So, the force between the Sun and the Earth will also be greater and we'll get a bit closer. It's just the question how big is the mass of the meteor according to the Earth's mass. That defines how "heavier" we'll be.

yes, but we do not need a meteor, every day many tones of dust from space settle on earth, I was just wondering how much and how did it effect our trajectory, in the last 300 years since Kepler?

bilha nissenson said:
yes, but we do not need a meteor, every day many tones of dust from space settle on earth, I was just wondering how much and how did it effect our trajectory, in the last 300 years since Kepler?

Would changing a weight of an object really change it's trajectory that much?

Jupiter is so much bigger than the Earth, and yet it's much further from the sun, and doesn't seem to fall or get any closer over millions of years.

The right question (trajectory-wise anyway) would be: "Does this dust change the speed/velocity of Earth in any way?", because velocity is the thing that really defines trajectory.

And the answer is no.

Several hundred tonnes of matter impact the Earth every year. It's insignificant.

We did an interesting problem like this in our physics class. Even the meteor that impacted the Earth and is thought to have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs (among other species) had a negligible impact on both the Earth's mass and trajectory.

Exactly. Getting it all in one chunk like that will have devestating effects upon the atmosphere and crustal activities. Still nothing to affect the orbit, though.

What if the Earth's mass increases x2 at an instant, will it fall on the sun, or find a new balance point?

Crazy Tosser said:
What if the Earth's mass increases x2 at an instant, will it fall on the sun, or find a new balance point?

the Earth's orbit around the sun would not be affected that much.

but the moons orbit around the Earth would. it would be a much more eccentric orbit, with the apogee having about the value of its current distance.

if what you say is true. then what about the debris the sun collect? is the sun getting heavier? aren't we the "moons" of the sun? shouldn't that affect us eventually?

The cosmic perception of 'eventually' pretty much means that the sun will have died a natural death long before any effect of infalling matter could be noticed.

OK, but are there some calculations of this rate of change(?), or is it just a rule of thumb, for cosmic events?

bilha nissenson said:
if what you say is true. then what about the debris the sun collect? is the sun getting heavier? aren't we the "moons" of the sun? shouldn't that affect us eventually?

you also have to consider that the sun is loosing mass.

the first mechanism that is very easy to calculate from first principles is, that because the sun emits energy it has to loose mass (E = mc^2), my result for this is a loss rate of of 4,27 E6 kg/s.

there are further mechanisms like the ejections of solar flares, but I have not idea how to calculate them.

I also have to admit that I have no idea how high the rate of dust accumulation is, and whether the net effect is mass gain or loss.

and yes, a change of the suns mass would affect the Earth's orbit, but as Danger said, we are talking about a real long time here.

bilha nissenson said:

Sun is losing hundreds of tons of mass in prominences every day.
What will affect us eventually is the cooldown of the sun in a few billion years, when it will expand, consuming all planets before the asteroid field (I think?)

Crazy Tosser said:
Sun is losing hundreds of tons of mass in prominences every day.
What will affect us eventually is the cooldown of the sun in a few billion years, when it will expand, consuming all planets before the asteroid field (I think?)

it will become a red giant one day, that's for sure, I just don't remember how much it will expand then

Perhaps for some reason or other there is a wonderful correlation between the gaining and loosing of mass in the sun. That will makes the sun much more stable than we realize?

bilha nissenson said:
Perhaps for some reason or other there is a wonderful correlation between the gaining and loosing of mass in the sun. That will makes the sun much more stable than we realize?

No mattert how much dust you pound on the sun, the amount of hydrogen will not increase.

apologies that it took me so long to realize this - what I wrote in post #13 is not completely wrong, but it misses the most important point: the sun is not a "dust sucker" at all, on the contrary, dust particles are pushed away from the sun by radiation pressure and the solar wind ! the tails of comets always point away from the sun !

the gravitational force on a body, which is responsible for its attraction towards the sun, is proportional to its volume and therefore scales with r^3. but the repulsive force from solarwind and radiation pressure is proportional to its surface area and only scales with r^2. therefore large bodys are attracted by the sun while small ones are repulsed. as soon as I find the time I will try to calculate for which size both forces are in equilibrium.

anyway, even if the dust particle is large enough that the gravitational force dominates, it will be vaporized by solar radiation as soon as it comes close, and the resulting gas atoms will all be repulsed from the sun because of their smallness, as explained above.

so only bodies that are large enough to reach the sun before they are completely vaporized will add to the suns mass ! perhaps one day I will try to give an estimation for their minimum size, but I am pretty sure that this will be much bigger than "dust" !

Thank you for your answer, I was not near a computer for a while, so I did not answer, but as I started to think about what you said, which seemed very reasonable to me at first many questions came into my mind;
Does that mean that when a comet finaly gets captured by the sun's gravity, it's tail does not? does it stay floating around? or does it continue in orbit? I am just wondering, what is the exact limit for things that get pushed away from the sun and things that get captured by it. also I am wondering what happen to all the dust when it get pushed away, surely, it cannot escape the sun's gravity. so what doesn't it still contribute to the overall mass(gravity field) of the sun?

Related to Dust accumulation and change of weight (or mass, or gravitation field)

What causes dust accumulation?

Dust accumulation is caused by a combination of factors, including human activities, natural processes, and atmospheric conditions. Human activities such as burning fossil fuels and agricultural practices release particles into the air, while natural processes like wind erosion and volcanic eruptions can also contribute to dust accumulation. Atmospheric conditions such as temperature and humidity can affect the settling of dust particles, leading to their accumulation.

How does dust accumulation affect weight or mass?

Dust accumulation can affect weight or mass in several ways. First, the weight of dust particles can add to the overall weight or mass of an object. Additionally, dust can affect the weight or mass of an object by altering its surface area, which can impact its density and therefore its weight or mass. Finally, dust accumulation can also affect the accuracy of weight or mass measurements, as dust can add to the weight of an object being measured.

Can dust accumulation affect the Earth's gravitation field?

While dust accumulation can affect the weight or mass of an object, it does not have a significant impact on the Earth's gravitation field. The amount of dust that accumulates on the Earth's surface is relatively small compared to the overall mass of the planet, so it does not significantly affect the planet's gravitational pull.

How can we measure the weight or mass of dust particles?

The weight or mass of dust particles can be measured using various techniques, such as gravimetric analysis or particle counting. Gravimetric analysis involves collecting a sample of dust and measuring its weight, while particle counting uses specialized equipment to count and measure individual dust particles. Both methods can provide accurate measurements of the weight or mass of dust particles.

What are the potential health impacts of dust accumulation?

Dust accumulation can have significant health impacts, especially for those with respiratory conditions. Inhaling dust particles can lead to irritation and inflammation of the respiratory system, and long-term exposure to certain types of dust can increase the risk of developing respiratory diseases. Dust can also contain harmful substances, such as heavy metals or pesticides, which can have adverse effects on human health if ingested or inhaled.