Duplicating the function of an IR remote

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a simple circuit to duplicate the ON button of a bedroom AC remote. The individual is considering using a learning remote or designing a timer and counter circuit using a microcontroller. They also mention the option of using an IRremote app on a first-generation PSP with custom firmware to control the AC.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My bedroom AC has a remote. I would like to make an ultra-simple circuit to duplicate just the ON button. I want to leave the real remote on the nightstand and still be able to turn my AC on from downstairs (I do have line-of-sight).

I guess step 1 will be to detext what the remote is sending out...

Wait...

duh. There are learning remotes!

Thanks guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Happy to help.

It's just relatively simple pulse sequences. A timer and counter circuit could do it (although I'd choose simpler design over cost and use an ATtiny8 or some other microcontroller).

There are pages on the net which detail the pulse sequences for different brands of controllers (if you don't want to measure it yourself).

Or of course you could get a 'learning' remote, but where's the fun in that? ;)

On a side note, if you have a first-generation PSP (affectionately called phat), with custom firmware installed (CFW) you there is a IRremote app which could potentially let you turn on your A/C while playing your favorite video game.

I would suggest using a learning remote to duplicate the function of your IR remote. This will allow you to easily program the ON button onto a new remote, without the need for a complicated circuit. Additionally, you can also explore using a universal remote that can control multiple devices, including your bedroom AC. This will provide you with a single remote to control all your devices, making it more convenient and efficient. However, if you do want to create a circuit, you will need to first determine the specific frequency and signal that your IR remote is sending out. This can be done using an IR receiver and a microcontroller, but it may require some technical knowledge and equipment. Overall, using a learning remote or a universal remote would be the simplest and most effective solution for duplicating the function of your IR remote.

Related to Duplicating the function of an IR remote

1. How does an IR remote work?

An IR remote uses infrared light to communicate with a device. When a button is pressed on the remote, it sends a coded signal in the form of infrared pulses to the device's infrared receiver. These pulses are then translated into electronic signals that the device can understand and execute the corresponding command.

2. Can any device be controlled by an IR remote?

In theory, any device that has an infrared receiver can be controlled by an IR remote. However, the device must also be programmed to understand the specific codes and signals sent by the remote. Some devices may not be compatible with certain remotes.

3. How can I duplicate the function of an IR remote?

To duplicate the function of an IR remote, you will need an IR receiver, an IR transmitter, and a microcontroller such as an Arduino. The IR receiver will receive the signals from the original remote, and the microcontroller will decode and store these signals. The IR transmitter will then send out the stored signals to control the device.

4. Are there any limitations to duplicating the function of an IR remote?

One limitation is that the duplicated remote may not have the same range or signal strength as the original remote. This can result in the duplicated remote not being able to control the device from long distances or through obstacles. Additionally, not all remotes use the same codes and signals, so it may not be possible to duplicate the function of all remotes.

5. Is there an easier way to duplicate the function of an IR remote?

Some companies offer universal remotes that can be programmed to control multiple devices. These remotes typically come with a database of codes for various devices, making it easier to control them without having to duplicate the function of a specific remote. However, if a device is not included in the database, duplicating the function of an IR remote may still be necessary.