Low PM Status - Now That's Low!

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the current PM status being low and how it may add to the competition on the forum. The misunderstanding is cleared up when someone explains that PM stands for Private Message and it is only an indicator for the user. Someone jokes about increasing their post count by sending a PM and posting at the same time. Lastly, the thread is ended with the user stating their PM status is now normal but then it changes to critical. They also mention not wanting to post in the thread again.
maximus
Current PM statis: Low

now that's low! :wink: (it may be that i only say this becuase my status is low but i think it generally is kind-of stupid, and only adds to the strange competition in this place)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by maximus
Current PM statis: Low

now that's low! :wink: (it may be that i only say this becuase my status is low but i think it generally is kind-of stupid, and only adds to the strange competition in this place)

LMAO!

*wipes tears from eyes*

No, maximus, PM=Private Message. If your PM box is not very full, the status is "low". If it is quite full, the status is "high". It is only an indicator that tells you when to empty out your box, and only you can see your status.

Want me to send you a few PM's to "boost your status"? :wink:

Oh, this is a funny misunderstanding, indeed.

I shot maximus a PM so he could watch his status go up! (while my post count does the same, haha)

thank you very much boulderhead, i feel better now!

PM add to your post count? How does that work, they aren't posts.

Strange I've been here for ages and didn't know that.

Pauly Man, PM messages do not increase post count. BH just made the joke that he sent max a PM and posted here at the same time. Meaning his reply was so easy that he increased his post count by PMing max and being able to post a simple message here.

good news everybody! three or so weeks later, and my PF status is NORMAL. (in big ugly yellow letters).

eek! now it says CRITICAL in big flashing letters. (nice touch greg)

oh, and i'll never post in this thread again. delete it or lock it or do whatever it is you do.

1. What is "Low PM Status - Now That's Low!"?

"Low PM Status - Now That's Low!" is a phrase used to describe a low level of particulate matter (PM) in the air. PM is a type of air pollution that can come from various sources such as dust, vehicle exhaust, and industrial emissions. A low PM status indicates that the air quality is relatively clean and healthy.

2. How is PM measured?

PM is typically measured in terms of its size or diameter, with the most common sizes being PM2.5 (particles smaller than 2.5 micrometers) and PM10 (particles smaller than 10 micrometers). These measurements are usually taken using specialized instruments such as air quality monitors.

3. What are the health effects of PM?

Exposure to high levels of PM can have negative health effects, particularly on the respiratory and cardiovascular systems. This can include aggravating existing conditions such as asthma, as well as causing coughing, difficulty breathing, and other respiratory symptoms. Long-term exposure to PM has also been linked to an increased risk of heart disease and lung cancer.

4. What are the main sources of PM?

The main sources of PM include transportation (e.g. cars, trucks), industrial processes (e.g. factories, power plants), and natural sources (e.g. dust, wildfires). The specific sources can vary depending on the location and time of year.

5. How can we reduce PM levels?

To reduce PM levels, we can take both individual and collective actions. This can include using public transportation or carpooling instead of driving, properly maintaining vehicles to reduce emissions, using clean energy sources, and limiting outdoor burning. Additionally, government regulations and policies can also help to reduce PM levels by limiting emissions from industrial sources and promoting clean energy initiatives.