Dumb Question: Why Do You Add Exponents When Multiplying?

• Thread starter pandaexpress
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, when multiplying exponential terms with the same base, the exponents are added together. This can be thought of as counting the total number of factors of the base in the expression. It is important to note that this only applies when the base is the same. Otherwise, the terms cannot be combined.
pandaexpress
When multiplying x2 and x5, we get x7. Quick, dumb question:

Why isn't it x10 instead (since we're multiplying and not adding)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Think of the exponent as counting the number of factors so x^2 is x*x and x^5 is x*x*x*x*x and when multiplied together gives you 7 x's or x^7

pandaexpress said:
When multiplying x2 and x5, we get x7. Quick, dumb question:

Why isn't it x10 instead (since we're multiplying and not adding)?
##x^2## means ##x \cdot x##, and ##x^2## means ##x \cdot x \cdot x \cdot x \cdot x##, so ##x^2 \cdot x^5## means ##x \cdot x \cdot x \cdot x \cdot x \cdot x \cdot x##, right? How many factors of x are there in that last expression?

jedishrfu said:
Think of the exponent as counting the number of factors so x^2 is x*x and x^5 is x*x*x*x*x and when multiplied together gives you 7 x's or x^7

This might seem a little dumb, but I figured that multiplying would give you 10 still. Using your example above,

x2 = x*x
x5 = x*x*x*x*x

Wouldn't x2 * x5 = x*x; x*x; x*x; x*x; x*x? Basically, you'd have a pair of x*x's five times. Or, you would get:

x*x*x*x*x; x*x*x*x*x Or, in other words, two groups of x*x*x*x*x.

It's the same idea with regular multiplication, where if you have 2X5, then it's like

|| || || || || (five groups of two) or |||||; ||||| (two groups of five)

I just don't quite understand why we're adding and getting 7 (instead of 10), since the operation is to multiply exponents. Do you guys see what I mean?

If they want you to add the exponents, then why not just say x2 + x5?

pandaexpress said:
This might seem a little dumb, but I figured that multiplying would give you 10 still. Using your example above,

x2 = x*x
x5 = x*x*x*x*x

Wouldn't x2 * x5 = x*x; x*x; x*x; x*x; x*x?
No.
What you have written is ##(x^2)^5##, or 5 factors of ##x^2##, making 10 factors of x, or ##x^{10}##.
With ##(x^2) \cdot (x^5)## you have two factors of x multiplying 5 factors of x, making 7 factors of x, or ##x^7##.
pandaexpress said:
Basically, you'd have a pair of x*x's five times. Or, you would get:

x*x*x*x*x; x*x*x*x*x Or, in other words, two groups of x*x*x*x*x.

It's the same idea with regular multiplication, where if you have 2X5, then it's like

|| || || || || (five groups of two) or |||||; ||||| (two groups of five)

I just don't quite understand why we're adding and getting 7 (instead of 10), since the operation is to multiply exponents.
No, again. The operation is to multiply ##x^2## and ##x^5##, which results in the exponents being added.
pandaexpress said:
Do you guys see what I mean?

If they want you to add the exponents, then why not just say x2 + x5?
Because the terms in ##x^2 + x^5## are not like terms (i.e., same exponent), they can't be combined.

Maybe try looking at it with numbers. For example, when ##x=2##, ##x^2\cdot x^5## is ##4\cdot32=128=2^7##. Try it with some more numbers. Now you will see that indeed, as Mark44 said, ##x^2\cdot x^5=(x\cdot x)\cdot(x\cdot x\cdot x\cdot x\cdot x)## and not what you wrote.

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Dumb Question: Why Do You Add Exponents When Multiplying?

What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that indicates the number of times a number, called the base, should be multiplied by itself.

Why do you add exponents when multiplying?

When multiplying numbers with the same base, the exponents are added because it represents repeated multiplication. For example, 23 * 24 is equivalent to 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2, which is equal to 27.

What happens when you multiply numbers with different exponents?

When multiplying numbers with different exponents, you can apply the power rule. This means you can add the exponents if the bases are the same, or keep the base with the larger exponent and add the smaller exponent as a coefficient. For example, 23 * 25 = 28 and 26 * 32 = 26 * 9 = 182.

Can you multiply numbers with negative exponents?

Yes, numbers with negative exponents can be multiplied. When a number has a negative exponent, it means it is in the denominator of a fraction. For example, 2-3 * 22 = 1/23 * 22 = 1/8.

Are there any exceptions to the rule of adding exponents when multiplying?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the rule of adding exponents when multiplying. For example, when multiplying powers with the same base but different exponents, if one of the exponents is 0, the product is equal to 1. In addition, when raising a power to another power, the exponents are multiplied. For example, (23)2 = 26.