Duct sizing chart - pressure loss

In summary, the conversation discusses a sizing chart for ventilation ducts and the gray area indicates the accepted pressure loss area. The upper pressure loss limit decreases to 0.7 Pa/m after passing a certain size, and the reason for this change is not clear. The speaker speculates it could be due to issues with duct strength, economics, or noise. They also mention using a duct sizing calculator without similar markings and ask where the chart was obtained. The other person found the chart by searching online and shares their belief that the limit is related to velocity rather than pressure losses.
TSN79
I found this sizing chart for ventilation ducts. Notice the gray area for what I suppose is the accepted pressure loss area. What I wonder is why it changes as the sizes pass Ø800. From here on the upper pressure loss limit goes down to 0,7 Pa/m. Is this because of velocity issues or something else?

Attachments

• preview006.jpg
    preview006.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 588
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's something I should probably know, but I don't. It could be an issue of duct strength, economics, noise. I'm really not sure. I use a duct sizing calculator (rotary slide rule, basically) which has no similar markings. where did you get it?

I'm pretty sure it's a limit on velocity, and not on pressure losses. 200,000 l/s of gas rocketing through a pipe at 40 m/s is not within typical design limits.

Related to Duct sizing chart - pressure loss

What is a duct sizing chart?

A duct sizing chart is a graphical representation of the pressure loss in a duct system, based on the size and length of the duct, as well as the air flow rate and type of duct material.

Why is it important to use a duct sizing chart?

Using a duct sizing chart ensures that the duct system is designed to provide the necessary air flow and pressure for proper ventilation and HVAC operation. It also helps to prevent issues such as uneven air distribution and excessive energy consumption.

How do I use a duct sizing chart?

To use a duct sizing chart, you will need to know the air flow rate required for your HVAC system, the type and length of ducts, and the type of material used for the ducts. Then, locate these values on the chart and determine the corresponding pressure loss.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a duct sizing chart?

The accuracy of a duct sizing chart can be affected by factors such as changes in air density, temperature, humidity, and altitude. It is important to make adjustments for these factors when using the chart.

Are there different types of duct sizing charts available?

Yes, there are different types of duct sizing charts available, such as the Equal Friction Method, the Static Regain Method, and the T-Method. Each method uses different equations and factors to calculate pressure loss in ducts, and may be more suitable for different types of duct systems.