Duality between generators of changes and observables in QM

In summary: If we were measuring the spin in the x direction and got a definite result of -hbar/2 then we would know that the state is now the eigenvector of the matrix S_x with eigenvalue -hbar/2.
plmokn2
I've posted similar questions on a different forum previously, but since I'm feeling a bit guilty about going on at the one person there who answers, I'll post these here. Hope it's ok if I don't follow the template since they're more conceptual than a standard problem. Any help appreciated:

1. Why do we have this duality between generators of inifintesimal changes and observables in quantum mechanics? Is it a postulate in it's own right or derived from something else (is it even always the case?)? How do we know the observable from a particular generator corrisponds to the observable we attatch to it: is it just guessing based on classical mechanics?

2. Am I right in saying if you have a particle spin up in the z-direction and you measure the spin along a perpendicular axis you will get a result of + or - h(bar)/2 with a 50/50 probability of each?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
plmokn2 said:
2. Am I right in saying if you have a particle spin up in the z-direction and you measure the spin along a perpendicular axis you will get a result of + or - h(bar)/2 with a 50/50 probability of each?

yep.

Thanks for your reply. In that case suppose I represent the particle by a spinor initially (psi+,0)Transposed what will the spinor look like once I've made the measurement of spin in the seond direction and got a definite result? Does the direction of the components of the spinor change so it's now written as (psi+,0)T or (0,psi-)T but with the spinor in a different direction or do the components of the spinor stay in the same direction?
Thanks again.

I seem to believe that generators of infinitesimal changes (elements of a lie algebra) are usually hermitian. I also think this might be wrong...

Old age befuddles the brain... :D

Edit:

Indeed, I was wrong. A quick think reveals that the lie algebra corresponding to the group of unitary matrices are *anti*hermitian matrices.

Last edited:
genneth said:
I seem to believe that generators of infinitesimal changes (elements of a lie algebra) are usually hermitian...

Indeed, I was wrong. A quick think reveals that the lie algebra corresponding to the group of unitary matrices are *anti*hermitian matrices.

Actually, you might now recall, we usually stick in a factor of 'i' in order to make them Hermitian.

plmokn2 said:
1. Why do we have this duality between generators of inifintesimal changes and observables in quantum mechanics? Is it a postulate in it's own right or derived from something else (is it even always the case?)? How do we know the observable from a particular generator corrisponds to the observable we attatch to it: is it just guessing based on classical mechanics?

I assume you won't appreciate a technical answer involving theorems and mathematical terms, so I'm giving you to read something nice written by the famous EP Wigner a while ago http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=300191&pageindex=10#page

plmokn2 said:
Thanks for your reply. In that case suppose I represent the particle by a spinor initially (psi+,0)Transposed what will the spinor look like once I've made the measurement of spin in the seond direction and got a definite result? Does the direction of the components of the spinor change so it's now written as (psi+,0)T or (0,psi-)T but with the spinor in a different direction or do the components of the spinor stay in the same direction?
Thanks again.

The spinor you wrote down is the eigenvector (with eigenvalue plus hbar/2) of the matrix S_z in a particular basis. The one in which S_z is diagonal. Stick with that basis. Don't change to a different basis in which a different generator is diagonal... that seems to be part of what is confusing you.

If you measure the spin in a different direction (say, the x direction) and get a definite result (say, plus hbar/2) then you know that the state is now the eigenvector of the matrix S_x with eigenvalue plus hbar/2.

It's not either of the states you wrote down (where did a "psi-" come from?). You should be able to write down the eigenspinor of S_x with eigenvalue of plus hbar/2 in the basis you started with.

assume you won't appreciate a technical answer involving theorems and mathematical terms, so I'm giving you to read something nice written by the famous EP Wigner a while ago http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pag...eindex=10#page
Thanks, I'll have a read of that now.

The spinor you wrote down is the eigenvector (with eigenvalue plus hbar/2) of the matrix S_z in a particular basis. The one in which S_z is diagonal. Stick with that basis. Don't change to a different basis in which a different generator is diagonal... that seems to be part of what is confusing you.
I was being stupid, thanks for clearing it up. So then in this basis the new spinor would be (1,i)T or (i,1)T or (1,1)T or (1,-1)T depending on the result and the axis (all needing to be normalised). And if we were working in a different basis I'd be looking for eigenvectors of U^TSU where U is some unitary matrix?

Last edited by a moderator:
plmokn2 said:
I was being stupid, thanks for clearing it up. So then in this basis the new spinor would be (1,i)T or (i,1)T or (1,1)T or (1,-1)T depending on the result...

yep.

yep.
Cool, thanks.

assume you won't appreciate a technical answer involving theorems and mathematical terms, so I'm giving you to read something nice written by the famous EP Wigner a while ago http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pag...eindex=10#page
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. It does raise one question though: if we treat H as some general infinesimal time change generator, (pretending we don't know it's the Hamiltonian) all the results still work and so generators still give rise to conserved quantities. Then applying the results to time invariance we find there's some conserved quantity that corrisponds to the generator d/dt (ignoring constants). Analogy with classical mechanics or experiment then gives us that this conserved quantity is the total energy and we seem to have 'derived' the Schrodinger equation?
Is this right or have I managed to confuse myself?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's perfectly true, this "deduction" of the SE is made by Sakurai in his brilliant book, see chapter 2.

Thanks

Related to Duality between generators of changes and observables in QM

1. What is the concept of duality between generators of changes and observables in quantum mechanics?

Duality refers to the idea that in quantum mechanics, the mathematical operators used to describe changes in a system (generators of changes) are closely related to the physical properties that can be observed (observables). This means that the same mathematical operator can be used to describe both a change in the system and the measurement of a corresponding observable.

2. How does duality manifest in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the mathematical operators for generators of changes and observables are represented by Hermitian matrices. These matrices have the property that they are their own adjoint (conjugate transpose), meaning they are symmetric about the main diagonal. This symmetry is a manifestation of duality, as it shows the close relationship between the two types of operators.

3. What are some examples of duality in quantum mechanics?

One example of duality is the relationship between the position and momentum operators. The position operator generates changes in position, while the momentum operator is the observable associated with the momentum of a particle. Another example is the duality between the time evolution operator (generator of changes) and the energy operator (observable).

4. How does duality between generators of changes and observables impact measurements in quantum mechanics?

Duality means that the same mathematical operator can represent both a change in the system and the measurement of an observable. This has implications for the uncertainty principle, as it means that the more precisely we measure one observable, the less precisely we can know the corresponding change. This is because the operators for these quantities do not commute, leading to inherent uncertainty in their simultaneous measurement.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the concept of duality in quantum mechanics?

While duality is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, there is ongoing debate about its interpretation and the implications it has for our understanding of the physical world. Some interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, view duality as a fundamental aspect of quantum systems, while others, such as the many-worlds interpretation, reject the notion of duality altogether. However, despite these debates, the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics remains consistent and accurate in its predictions.