Dropsheet-duct tape wall in The Martian

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary: That's still too much. According to the Barlow's formula the maximum radius of the green house is given by##r = \frac{{\sigma \cdot s}}{p}##with the pressure ##p##, the maximum tensile strength ##\sigma## and the thickness ##s##. 3M 6969 Duct Tape has a thickness of 0.272 mm and a tensile strength at break of 20.7 MPa. With a pressure of 20.265 kPa the maxium radius would be just 27.8 cm. Watney's green house reather looks like 10 meters in diameter. That would require at least 18 layers of duct tape
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How much "weight" is Watney's magical dropsheet actually holding?
While not managing to sleep, I was trying to calculate how deep a pool of water would be to simulate Watney's pressure wall holding in the Hab atmo.

Let's say, generously, the air pressure in the Hab was a mere 0.5 atmos. That's .51kg/cm^2.

Mars is .02 atmos, so effectively vacuum. We can discount it.

So, if we brought it to Earth and turned it on its side and made a 10 foot diamter swimming pool out of it, every square centimetre is holding 500cm^3 of water - or a column 5 metres tall.

So, Watney has built a 10 foot wide suspended pool on Earth - whose bottom is made of magic dropsheet and duct tape, and it is holding up all the water in a pool that's 5 metres deep??

Did I miss a decimal point somewhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's magical movie set duct tape. :smile:

phinds said:
It's magical movie set duct tape. :smile:
Like the Force it is. A light side and a dark side it has. Binds the universe together it does.

But yeah, I agree Dave's calculations. If the guy used pure oxygen (and just lived with the fire hazard) could he reduce pressure to 0.2 bar? That would reduce the swimming pool equivalent to about 2m deep.

Likes etotheipi
What's the matter with you guys? Watney never did the calculation before putting it together and it worked! You missed the point. If you don't know about it, it ceases to be a problem. Same idea as not testing for COVID 19: you don't test, the number of cases goes down. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes phinds
kuruman said:
What's the matter with you guys? Watney never did the calculation before putting it together and it worked! You missed the point. If you don't know about it, it ceases to be a problem. Same idea as not testing for COVID 19, you don't test, the number of cases goes down. Sheesh! :rolleyes:
Yeah! We all know that! Like… it's if you don't take the pregnancy test, you can't be pregnant. Or if you don't have a temperature gauge in your car, it can't overheat. There's lotsa stuff like that.

kuruman said:
If you don't know about it, it ceases to be a problem.

Given that nature is in on it as well, I suspect Watneys case is some kind of combination of Somebody else's Problem and Cartoon Physics.

Perhaps the two phenomenon are related via some corollaries, like Cartoon Physics being natures version of SEP. Sort of nature thinks that humans knows what they are doing and stop worrying about getting all the tiny wheel of nature to turn exactly right. I mean, it must be exhausting for nature to be so diligent all the time, right?

On the other hand, given Occam's razor the magic movie duct tape is perhaps the simplest, but less interesting, explanation of this case. Watney clearly have gravity and other aspects of mechanics working OK and nature do punish him in other regards on several occasions so clearly not all is under influence of SEP and CP. And also, magic duct tape is pretty strong, especially the standard grey version.

Likes davenn
Filip Larsen said:
Given that nature is in on it as well, I suspect Watneys case is some kind of combination of Somebody else's Problem and Cartoon Physics.
I like the "Hitchhiker's Guide..." SEP reference, one of my fav's :biggrin:

Ibix said:
But yeah, I agree Dave's calculations. If the guy used pure oxygen (and just lived with the fire hazard) could he reduce pressure to 0.2 bar? That would reduce the swimming pool equivalent to about 2m deep.

That's still too much. According to the Barlow's formula the maximum radius of the green house is given by

##r = \frac{{\sigma \cdot s}}{p}##

with the pressure ##p##, the maximum tensile strength ##\sigma## and the thickness ##s##.

3M 6969 Duct Tape has a thickness of 0.272 mm and a tensile strength at break of 20.7 MPa. With a pressure of 20.265 kPa the maxium radius would be just 27.8 cm. Watney's green house reather looks like 10 meters in diameter. That would require at least 18 layers of duct tape.

Related to Dropsheet-duct tape wall in The Martian

1. What is a "Dropsheet-duct tape wall" in The Martian?

A "Dropsheet-duct tape wall" is a makeshift wall made by the main character, Mark Watney, in the movie The Martian. He uses duct tape and plastic sheets to create a barrier in his habitat on Mars.

2. Why did Mark Watney create a Dropsheet-duct tape wall?

Mark Watney created the Dropsheet-duct tape wall to separate the living area of his habitat from the damaged section where he is growing potatoes. This allows him to maintain a livable environment while also growing food.

3. How effective is a Dropsheet-duct tape wall in space?

The effectiveness of a Dropsheet-duct tape wall in space depends on the specific situation. In the movie, it was a temporary solution for Mark Watney's needs, but it may not be a long-term or permanent solution for other scenarios.

4. Can a Dropsheet-duct tape wall withstand the harsh environment of Mars?

The Dropsheet-duct tape wall in The Martian was able to withstand the harsh environment of Mars for a short period of time. However, in reality, it may not be a reliable solution as it is not designed for long-term use in extreme conditions.

5. Is the concept of a Dropsheet-duct tape wall scientifically accurate?

The concept of a Dropsheet-duct tape wall is based on the real-life use of duct tape in space missions. However, the specific application in The Martian may not be entirely accurate as it was used in an emergency situation and not in a controlled environment.