Drop in pressure, what volume is left?

How much of the Liquid Nitrogen did we lose/is left in the vessel?"In summary, there is a vessel containing 10 Liters of Liquid Nitrogen at a normal pressure of 100 Psi. After a couple hours, the pressure drops to 47 Psi due to a leak. The question is how much Liquid Nitrogen was lost or is still left in the vessel. The equation P1V1 = P2V2 was considered but may not be applicable to this situation. Further discussion is needed to determine a solution.
Hexxor

Homework Statement

There is a vessel with 10 Liters of Liquid Nitrogen.
The normal pressure is 100 Psi.
After a couple hours the pressure is dropped to 47 Psi because of leak in the vessel.

How much of the Liquid Nitrogen did we lose/is left in the vessel?

Homework Equations

I'm really not sure. I thought about P1V1 = P2V2, but I don't think that will work here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using P1V1 = P2V2 I got an answer, but I think that will only work for a closed system (drop in pressure means increase in volume and vice versa)

So, does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the exact wording of this problem (not your paraphrasing)? There seems to be information missing.

Chet

Related to Drop in pressure, what volume is left?

1. What causes a drop in pressure?

A drop in pressure can be caused by a decrease in the amount of gas or liquid in a confined space, a decrease in temperature, or a change in altitude.

2. How does a drop in pressure affect the volume of a gas?

A drop in pressure will cause the volume of a gas to increase, as the gas particles have more space to move around in the lower pressure environment.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the volume remaining after a drop in pressure?

Yes, the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) can be used to calculate the volume remaining after a drop in pressure, as long as the other variables (temperature, number of moles, and gas constant) remain constant.

4. Can the volume remaining after a drop in pressure be predicted?

In most cases, the volume remaining after a drop in pressure can be predicted using the ideal gas law and knowledge of the initial volume and pressure. However, factors such as temperature and the presence of other substances can affect the accuracy of the prediction.

5. How can a drop in pressure be measured?

A drop in pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge, which typically measures in units of pressure such as psi or bar. It can also be measured indirectly by calculating the change in volume or temperature of a gas in a closed system.