Drop an Egg 10m Without Breaking: Physics Principles

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a way to drop an egg from a height of 10m without it breaking. Suggestions include suspending the egg in a container of liquid, using a parachute or a padded box, or creating a mini skate ramp with a pool of water at the bottom. It is also mentioned that the design should avoid the egg spinning or lurching during the fall and that the force should not exceed the breaking point of the egg. The conversation ends with a suggestion to determine the necessary G force before starting the project.
roflwaffle

Homework Statement

drop an egg ~10m without it breaking

Homework Equations

1/2mv2 and mgh :)

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking would the egg break if i suspended the egg in a container of liquid of the same density as the eggshell. I've been thinking about this conceptually with pressure waves and whatnot, but i don't know the necessary physics principles that would allow me to prove if this would work or not.

yes or no answers acceptable, but explanations would be nice, improvement or alternative ideas are even better!can some admin move this to intro-physics, b/c that's where this should be

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put it in a box of foam assuming there isn't any weight restrictions, the idea isn't original but it always works the best. My team designed a contraption with a outer frame and elastics to dampen the momentum. It worked quite well but if you add too many parameters then the entire system is too difficult to manage and the factors cause too many problems.

i can't use any commercial padding. so foam is out of the question, unless i make it.

If a little parachute is easy to make, I would totally do that.

A parachute won't create enough air resistance considering you would have to cut a circle in the center to allow for an air stream to pass through therefore stabilizing it as it probably has to land on a target. Another one that works is getting construction paper and roll it into a conical shape, put the egg in a padded box and then within the cone. Place it farthest away from far the "apex" of the cone. The force on collision should be absorbed by the paper and the aerodynamics should allow it to travel without much drag. The downside is that you will experience more force on collision but the paper should work, construction paper is the best.

Drop it along an inclined plane! :biggrin:

No, seriously, maybe you could make something like a mini skate ramp (very smooth) that turns really slow so the velocity goes from vertical to horizontal, and then you could put a little pool of water or something like that to stop the egg. I'm thinking of something like the way you are stopped at the end of a water slide. You could also put some peanut butter or something like that in the ramp to stop the egg. Beware that the ramp should be as tall as possible to make the turn as slow as possible and the drop of the egg should be very precise (use a plumb line and avoid windy places!), so as to avoid the egg crashing with the ramp.

Something else that could go wrong during the fall is that the egg starts spinning in the middle of the air or something like that (the egg is not spherical) so I guess you should determine the orientation of the egg for which it doesn't start spinning in mid air (if possible). Yet another problem would be that once it lands on the ramp it starts lurching, this could be fixed making the ramp very slippery with oil or something like that.

I have no experience at all with this egg dropping business, but after seeing some videos on youtube it seems that this is not the usual way to do it (maybe cause no one thought about it before or maybe just because it's more difficult hehe), so I guess it would be for the better of experimental physics :approve: (even if if totally fails)! It's kinda boring to do it the same way over and over don't you think?

It seems to me that before you begin a project like this you need to know how many G's it takes to break the egg. Then you can start designing something that won't exceed that value.

Related to Drop an Egg 10m Without Breaking: Physics Principles

1. How does height affect the impact force on an egg?

The impact force on an egg depends on the height from which it is dropped. As the height increases, the potential energy of the egg also increases. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the egg falls. When the egg hits the ground, the kinetic energy is transferred to the ground, resulting in a higher impact force. Therefore, dropping an egg from a greater height will result in a higher impact force and a higher likelihood of the egg breaking upon impact.

2. What factors contribute to the success of dropping an egg without breaking?

Several factors contribute to the success of dropping an egg without breaking. These include the height from which the egg is dropped, the surface on which it lands, and the design of the container holding the egg. The height should be carefully chosen based on the materials used and the surface should be soft and cushiony to absorb the impact. Additionally, the container should be designed to distribute the force of impact evenly to prevent the egg from breaking.

3. How does the shape of the egg affect its chances of breaking upon impact?

The shape of the egg plays a significant role in determining its chances of breaking upon impact. Eggs have an oval shape, which makes them stronger and better able to withstand external forces. This shape allows the force of impact to be distributed evenly across the surface of the egg, reducing the likelihood of it breaking. Additionally, the curved shape also helps to absorb some of the impact, making it less likely for the egg to break.

4. Can the temperature of the egg affect its chances of breaking upon impact?

Yes, the temperature of the egg can affect its chances of breaking upon impact. When an egg is heated, its contents expand, creating more pressure on the shell. This makes the egg more vulnerable to breaking, even with a small amount of force. On the other hand, a cold egg has contracted contents, which creates less pressure on the shell and decreases its chances of breaking upon impact. Therefore, it is important to consider the temperature of the egg when attempting to drop it without breaking.

5. What other physical principles are involved in dropping an egg without breaking?

Aside from potential and kinetic energy, other physical principles involved in dropping an egg without breaking include inertia, force, and acceleration. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, and this applies to both the egg and the container holding it. Force is the push or pull on an object, and it is important to distribute the force of impact evenly to reduce the chances of breaking. Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes, and it is important to control the acceleration of the egg's fall to prevent it from reaching a high enough velocity to break upon impact.