Driving Gyroscopes: Systems for Keeping Disks Spinning

• Thread starter SmashtheVan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscopes
In summary, the conversation discusses the applications of gyroscopes and the concern of friction forces causing the rotating disk to eventually come to rest. The speaker also mentions the use of restorative forces, such as magnetic or electric forces, to keep the gyroscope spinning at a high rate in real-world applications. They also request information or resources on the types of systems used to power the gyroscopes, specifically mentioning electric motors.
SmashtheVan
So I understand the applications of gyroscopes for measuring changes in orientation and the like. However, I always have struggled with the fact that the rotating disk in the gyroscope will eventually have to come to rest thanks to friction forces. This brings me to the assumption that there must be some restorative force(my guess is magnetic/electric/both) applied to keep the disk at a high rate of speed in real-world application.

can anyone help me out with a general description of the types of systems used to keep the gyroscope spinning, or can link me to resources that can help me out on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are powered by electric motors.

I'd read that motors were used but was confused on how they were implemented. Since posting have been able to track down my answers

Related to Driving Gyroscopes: Systems for Keeping Disks Spinning

1. What is a driving gyroscope?

A driving gyroscope is a system that uses a spinning disk, called a gyroscope, to maintain a constant orientation and resist external forces. It is commonly used in navigation systems and other devices that require precise movement.

2. How does a driving gyroscope work?

A driving gyroscope works by utilizing the principle of angular momentum. The spinning motion of the gyroscope creates a force that resists any changes in its orientation, allowing it to maintain a constant position in space.

3. What are some common applications of driving gyroscopes?

Driving gyroscopes are commonly used in navigation systems, such as in airplanes, ships, and spacecraft. They are also used in stabilizing cameras and other precision instruments, as well as in virtual reality systems and video game controllers.

4. Are there different types of driving gyroscopes?

Yes, there are several different types of driving gyroscopes, including mechanical gyroscopes, ring laser gyroscopes, and fiber optic gyroscopes. Each type has its own unique design and advantages, but they all operate on the same principle of angular momentum.

5. What are the benefits of using a driving gyroscope?

The main benefit of using a driving gyroscope is its ability to maintain a constant orientation and resist external forces, making it a reliable tool for navigation and precision movement. It also has no moving parts, making it more durable and less prone to mechanical failure.