Driven simple pendulum - system of first order ODEs

In summary, the homework statement is to turn a second order differential equation into a system of first order differential equations. The attempt at a solution is to use some numeric values (l = 10cm, g = 9.81m/s^2, capital omega = 5/s, C = 2/s^2) and turn the equation into a dimensionless equation using the following notation: \omega^2 = g/l. However, the only way to get it all in terms of theta and x is to use dummy variables.
Edge Of Pain

Homework Statement

We have a driven pendulum described by the following differential equation:

[itex] \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = \frac{-g}{l}\sin(\theta) + C\cos(\theta)\sin(\Omega t) [/itex]

I need to turn this second order differential equation into a system of first order differential equations (then use a computer to solve the first orders, but that's not the problem here).

Homework Equations

None needed

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
We are told to use some numeric values: l = 10cm, g = 9.81m/s^2, capital omega = 5/s, C = 2/s^2, and we are told to turn the equation into a dimensionless equation using the following notation:

[itex] \omega^2 = g/l [/itex]

[itex] \beta = \frac{\Omega}{\omega} [/itex]

[itex] \gamma = \frac{C}{\omega} [/itex]

[itex] x= \omega t [/itex]

Now, putting these into the ODE gives

[itex] \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = \omega^2\sin(\theta) + \omega^2\gamma\cos(\theta)\sin(\beta x) [/itex]

But, the only way I can think of turning this into a system of first order ODEs is by using some dummy variable, y.

In other words, let

[itex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} = y [/itex]

and

[itex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \omega^2\sin(\theta) + \omega^2\gamma\cos(\theta)\sin(\beta x) [/itex]

Is there no way to get it all in terms of theta and x?

EDIT:
I accidentally posted this before it was complete because I hit the "enter" key. Is there a way to turn this feature off? I don't want to get into trouble over posting something which doesn't fit with the rules.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? You had it as a system including only theta and t and you rewrite it as a system of two first order equations. That necessarily has to involve another dependent variable, one you decided to call y. It is unclear why you introduce x unless you want a dimensionless number, but then you should replace all occurences of t with x and not mix the notation.

Likes Edge Of Pain
Orodruin said:
What do you mean? You had it as a system including only theta and t and you rewrite it as a system of two first order equations. That necessarily has to involve another dependent variable, one you decided to call y. It is unclear why you introduce x unless you want a dimensionless number, but then you should replace all occurences of t with x and not mix the notation.

Yeah, my thinking is the same and I think I just need to leave it at that (besides, numerically solving that system results in a graph which looks sensible).

But there is a reason why I need it in terms of x - a later part of the question is that it asks for a plot of theta against [itex] \frac{d\theta}{dx} [/itex], but the solution is for theta as a function of time. Also, it's a numerical solution - I don't actually know what theta is in analytical form so I can't just differentiate it with respect to x by hand.

My thinking is this:
I have the quantity x = omega * t. What If I just do [itex] dx = \omega dt [/itex], giving [itex] \frac{1}{\omega} dx = dt [/itex] and just substitute that into the system? I'm going to try that now.

Last edited:
Have you heard of the chain rule?

Orodruin said:
Have you heard of the chain rule?

Yes.

Also I tried to solve this entirely in terms of theta and x, as I said I would above, but it was pointless since the only way to get Python to numerically solve this is to tell it that x is defined as omega * t, then give t values. So obviously it gave the same thing.

Related to Driven simple pendulum - system of first order ODEs

1. What is a driven simple pendulum?

A driven simple pendulum is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a string or rod that is free to oscillate back and forth under the influence of gravity. The system is "driven" when an external force or torque is applied to the mass, causing it to deviate from its natural oscillation frequency.

2. What is the equation of motion for a driven simple pendulum?

The equation of motion for a driven simple pendulum can be described by a system of first order ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It takes into account the mass of the pendulum, the length of the string or rod, the external driving force, and the effects of gravity and air resistance. The equations are typically solved using numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method.

3. How does the frequency of the driving force affect the motion of a driven simple pendulum?

The frequency of the driving force is a key determinant of the behavior of a driven simple pendulum. When the driving frequency is close to the natural frequency of the pendulum, a phenomenon known as resonance can occur, resulting in large amplitude oscillations. On the other hand, when the driving frequency is significantly different from the natural frequency, the pendulum will exhibit a more complex motion, including beats and chaos.

4. What are some real-world applications of driven simple pendulums?

Driven simple pendulums have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used in clocks and timekeeping devices, as well as in seismometers for measuring earthquakes. They are also used in mechanical systems for vibration isolation and damping, and in some musical instruments, such as metronomes and pendulum clocks.

5. How can the motion of a driven simple pendulum be controlled?

The motion of a driven simple pendulum can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the length of the string or rod, changing the mass of the pendulum, or altering the frequency and amplitude of the driving force. Additionally, the use of damping techniques, such as air resistance or friction, can also help to control the motion of a driven simple pendulum.