Driven oscillator with damping

Summary: In summary, the problem involves plotting the amplitude D of oscillations, normalized by the maximum amplitude at resonance, as a function of w/w_0. The equation for D is correct and to find Q, the formula Q = w_0/2\beta can be used, with the given value of \beta = (1/6)w_0 resulting in a value of Q = 3. This represents the quality factor of the oscillator and measures how well it maintains its amplitude over time.
w3390

Homework Statement

The oscillator is driven by a force F(t) = mAcos(wt). Plot the amplitude D of oscillations, in units of the maximum (resonant) amplitude D(max), as a function of w in units of w_0. (In other words, plot D/D(max) versus w/w_0.) Find Q.

[tex]\beta[/tex]=(1/6)w_0

Homework Equations

D = A/[sqrt((w_0^2 - w^2)^2 + 4w^2[tex]\beta[/tex]^2)]

A = (F_0)/m

The Attempt at a Solution

To start off, is my equation for D correct?

If so, my next question is how do I begin this problem. Is it correct to plug in (1/6)w_0 for the beta in my D equation to get D(max). That way I can divide D by D(max) and get the first part. Or is that completely wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your equation for D is correct. To begin this problem, you can start by plotting D/D(max) versus w/w_0, as mentioned in the homework statement. This will give you a plot of the amplitude as a function of w, normalized by the maximum amplitude at resonance.

To find Q, you can use the formula Q = w_0/2\beta. In this case, since you have been given \beta = (1/6)w_0, you can plug this into the formula to get Q = 3. This value of Q represents the quality factor of the oscillator, which is a measure of how well the oscillator maintains its amplitude over time.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Driven oscillator with damping

1. What is a driven oscillator with damping?

A driven oscillator with damping is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and a damping force, which is responsible for dissipating the energy of the system. The oscillator is also subjected to an external force, called the driving force, which causes it to oscillate.

2. How does damping affect the behavior of a driven oscillator?

Damping reduces the amplitude of oscillation in a driven oscillator. It also affects the frequency and phase of the oscillations. Strong damping can cause the oscillator to reach equilibrium faster, while weak damping can result in sustained oscillations.

3. What is the role of the driving force in a driven oscillator with damping?

The driving force is responsible for maintaining the oscillations in a driven oscillator with damping. Without it, the system would eventually come to rest due to the damping force dissipating all of its energy.

4. How is a driven oscillator with damping different from a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator does not experience any external forces, while a driven oscillator with damping is subjected to a driving force. Additionally, a simple harmonic oscillator does not experience any damping, while a driven oscillator does.

5. What are some real-life examples of driven oscillators with damping?

Some examples of driven oscillators with damping include a child's swing, a pendulum clock, and a car's suspension system. In these systems, the mass is subjected to a driving force, such as a push or a gravitational force, and is also damped by friction or air resistance.