Driven Harmonic Sys. Displacement Amp.

In summary, a driven harmonic system is an oscillating system that involves an external force being applied to a mass-spring system. The displacement amplitude in this system is calculated by the maximum displacement of the mass and is affected by factors such as the amplitude and frequency of the external force, as well as the mass and natural frequency of the system. The relationship between displacement amplitude and frequency is inverse, and resonance occurs when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the system. This can lead to instability if not controlled properly.
BadAtMath6

Homework Statement

I need to find the steady state displacement amplitude for a driven harmonic system.

Homework Equations

mass (m) = .5kg
stiffness (s) = 100 N/m
mechanical resistance (Rm) = 1.4 kg/s
force (f) = 2cos5t

The Attempt at a Solution

What I know:
angular freq (w) = 5 rad/sec
magnitude of force (F) = 2N
necessary diff. eq.: m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] + Rm[itex]\dot{x}[/itex] + sx = Fexp(iwt)
complex displacement: x=[itex]\frac{1}{iw}[/itex][itex]\frac{Fexp(iwt)}{Rm + j(wm-s/w)}[/itex]

I can ignore exp(iwt) because |exp(iwt)|=1.

So I need to find the magnitude of the complex displacement (while ignoring exp(iwt)) but I just don't remember how to deal with complex numbers. I've basically got all the values for what's in the complex equation I just don't know what to do with it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

your approach to solving this problem would involve using mathematical techniques and principles to determine the steady state displacement amplitude.

First, you would need to understand the concept of steady state in a driven harmonic system. In a driven harmonic system, the steady state occurs when the system has reached a constant amplitude and frequency in response to the driving force. This means that the system is no longer accelerating and the displacement and velocity are constant.

To find the steady state displacement amplitude, you would need to solve the differential equation given in the problem. This involves using mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, and complex numbers. You can use the given values for mass, stiffness, mechanical resistance, and force to solve the equation.

Next, you would need to simplify the complex displacement equation by using the properties of complex numbers. Remember that the real part of a complex number is the part without the imaginary unit (i) and the imaginary part is the part with the imaginary unit. You can also use the properties of exponents to simplify the equation.

Once you have simplified the complex displacement equation, you can find the magnitude of the complex displacement by taking the absolute value of the complex number. This will give you the steady state displacement amplitude.

In summary, as a scientist, you would approach this problem by understanding the concept of steady state, using mathematical techniques to solve the differential equation, and simplifying the complex displacement equation to find the magnitude of the steady state displacement amplitude.

Related to Driven Harmonic Sys. Displacement Amp.

1. What is a driven harmonic system?

A driven harmonic system is a type of oscillating system in which an external force or input is applied to a mass-spring system. This force causes the mass to vibrate or oscillate at a specific frequency, known as the natural frequency.

2. How is displacement amplitude calculated in a driven harmonic system?

Displacement amplitude is calculated by taking the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. It can be calculated using the formula A = F/mω^2, where A is the displacement amplitude, F is the applied force, m is the mass, and ω is the natural frequency.

3. What factors affect the displacement amplitude in a driven harmonic system?

The displacement amplitude in a driven harmonic system is affected by the amplitude and frequency of the external force, as well as the mass and natural frequency of the system. It can also be affected by any damping forces present in the system.

4. What is the relationship between displacement amplitude and frequency in a driven harmonic system?

The displacement amplitude and frequency in a driven harmonic system have an inverse relationship. This means that as the frequency of the external force increases, the displacement amplitude decreases. Similarly, as the frequency decreases, the displacement amplitude increases.

5. What is resonance in a driven harmonic system?

Resonance in a driven harmonic system occurs when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the system. This results in a significant increase in the displacement amplitude, which can lead to the system becoming unstable if not properly controlled.