Drilled hole through earth - Diff EQ w/ Gauss' Law

In summary, the conversation discusses writing a first order linear differential equation for an object's velocity as it drops through a hole drilled through the center of the Earth. The hint suggests using Gauss' law and the Earth's mass density to solve for the object's speed at the center of the Earth. The person seeking help is having trouble understanding the concept and how to use it in the differential equation. Another person suggests finding the position as a function of time and using Newton's Law to solve for the velocity.
bossman007

Homework Statement

Suppose that a hole has been drilled through the center of the earth, and that an object is droppped into this hole. Write a first order linear differential equaiton for the object's velocity, v as a function of the distance r from the Earth's center (i.e, and equation involving dv/dr), and solve it to determine the speed the object achieves as it reaches the center of the earth. Check this speed with the result you get from simple conservation of energy considerations. Consider the Earth's mass density to be uniform throughout.

Hint : recall Gauss' law as it applies to the gravitational field of a spherically symmetric mass distribution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble relating Gauss' law to this problem , and from there, I don't know how to use the equation hopefully involving velocity and radius to use it in my differential equation. I'm very lost on how to start this problem. I don't need help doing the math, just the concept is not clicking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bossman007 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a hole has been drilled through the center of the earth, and that an object is droppped into this hole. Write a first order linear differential equaiton for the object's velocity, v as a function of the distance r from the Earth's center (i.e, and equation involving dv/dr), and solve it to determine the speed the object achieves as it reaches the center of the earth. Check this speed with the result you get from simple conservation of energy considerations. Consider the Earth's mass density to be uniform throughout.

Hint : recall Gauss' law as it applies to the gravitational field of a spherically symmetric mass distribution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble relating Gauss' law to this problem , and from there, I don't know how to use the equation hopefully involving velocity and radius to use it in my differential equation. I'm very lost on how to start this problem. I don't need help doing the math, just the concept is not clicking.

What does Gauss' law (for gravity) tell you the gravitational field is a distance [itex]r \leq R_{\text{Earth}}[/itex] from the center of the Earth?

You might be better off trying to find the position, [;r;], as a function of time and then differentiating. To do this, use Gauss's Law to find the force acting on the particle as a function of [;r;] and then use Newton's Law: [F=ma=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}] to get an ordinary differential equation. Solve said ODE.

Related to Drilled hole through earth - Diff EQ w/ Gauss' Law

1. How does drilling a hole through the Earth relate to differential equations and Gauss' Law?

Drilling a hole through the Earth is a thought experiment that is used to understand the concepts of differential equations and Gauss' Law. It involves solving a differential equation to determine the force of gravity inside a spherical object, like the Earth, and using Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field inside a spherical shell.

2. What is the significance of using Gauss' Law in this thought experiment?

Gauss' Law is used to calculate the electric field inside a spherical shell, which is essential in determining the gravitational force inside a spherical object. In this thought experiment, it allows us to understand the relationship between the gravitational and electric forces inside the Earth.

3. How does the density of the Earth affect the results of this thought experiment?

The density of the Earth plays a crucial role in this thought experiment because it affects the distribution of mass inside the Earth. This distribution is essential in solving the differential equation and determining the force of gravity at different points inside the Earth.

4. Can this thought experiment be applied to other spherical objects besides the Earth?

Yes, this thought experiment can be applied to any spherical object with a uniform density. It can also be used to understand the forces inside other planets, stars, and even galaxies.

5. What are some real-world applications of this thought experiment?

One real-world application is in geophysics, where it can be used to calculate the density and composition of the Earth's interior. It can also be applied in astrophysics to understand the forces inside other celestial bodies. Additionally, the concepts used in this thought experiment are essential in many fields of engineering, such as designing structures that can withstand the forces inside the Earth or other planets.