Drift tube ion mobility spectrometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of an atmospheric pressure drift tube ion mobility spectrometer for use in chemistry. The tube consists of stacked electrodes connected by resistors to produce an electric field gradient. Questions are raised regarding the electric field, apertures, and capacitively decoupling of the ion current. The issue of using high-impedance drift tubes is also addressed and the poster asks for recommendations on literature for further understanding.
Flowaone
Hello PF,

thanks for having me here. I am working in chemistry and we are building a atmospheric pressure drift tube ion mobility spectrometer.
The drift tube consists of 20 stacked stainless steel electrodes insulated by PTFE spacers connected via a resistor chain (voltage divider) to produce a (homogeneous) electric field gradient. The tube is approximately 20 cm long. The voltage applied is 5 kV (the current max is 2 mA). The Ion source produces positive ions in the range of a few nA. The pulsed ion detection (via an ion gate) takes place with a faraday plate detector (connected to a transimpedance amplifier/electrometer) at the end of the tube (ground potential). The principle is like in time of flight mass spectrometry but at ambient pressure and the ions collide against a inert drift/washing gas.
I have questions concerning the electric field (homogeneity), apertures, capacitively decoupling of the ion current in front of the detector and so on. :)
But I want to start with a question concerning the Resistors in the voltage divider and the resulting current that flows through the resistors when a voltage is applied.
In the literature the working groups use very high-impedance drift tubes. Here, electrodes are connected via 1 or 5MOhm resistors.
Does an lower overall impedance of a drift tube (higher current flow through the voltage divider) negatively affect the measurement of the nanoampere signals?
I am not sure, but it seems to me that a lower current through the divider gets me better detectable signals (higher amplitude in the scope). A first guess is that the current in the divider disrupts the ion current in the tube. On the other hand a higher overall impedance of a signal source is more susceptible.

There are huge gaps in my knowledge about electrical engineering. Can you recommend literature to me? I read Plasma Chromatography, Ion mobility spectrometry and associated literature. When it comes to deeper physical questions I get lost for some reason.

Talk soon

Florian

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Drift tube ion mobility spectrometer

1. What is a drift tube ion mobility spectrometer?

A drift tube ion mobility spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to analyze the mass and charge of ions based on their rate of movement through a drift tube under the influence of an electric field. It is commonly used in the field of analytical chemistry to separate and identify molecules in a sample.

2. How does a drift tube ion mobility spectrometer work?

A drift tube ion mobility spectrometer works by creating a low-pressure environment in a drift tube and applying an electric field. Ions are injected into the drift tube and travel through it at different rates based on their mass and charge. The ions are then detected at the end of the drift tube, and their arrival time is used to calculate their mobility, which can be used to determine their mass-to-charge ratio.

3. What are the advantages of using a drift tube ion mobility spectrometer?

One of the main advantages of using a drift tube ion mobility spectrometer is its ability to separate and identify complex mixtures of molecules in a sample. It also has high sensitivity and can be used for both qualitative and quantitative analysis. Additionally, it is relatively fast, easy to operate, and requires minimal sample preparation.

4. What are the applications of a drift tube ion mobility spectrometer?

A drift tube ion mobility spectrometer has a wide range of applications in various fields, including environmental analysis, pharmaceutical research, food analysis, and forensic science. It is also commonly used in proteomics and metabolomics for the identification and characterization of biomolecules.

5. Are there any limitations to using a drift tube ion mobility spectrometer?

While drift tube ion mobility spectrometry is a powerful analytical tool, it does have some limitations. One major limitation is its inability to analyze large molecules or molecules with very similar mass-to-charge ratios. It also requires a high level of expertise to interpret the data accurately. Additionally, it can be expensive to purchase and maintain the equipment.