Drawing vectors on excel, how? due in 3 hours

In summary: Choose the Line option and draw a line from the origin (0,0) to the point representing D. You can also add an arrow to the line by right-clicking on it and selecting "Format Shape."And there you have it! You have successfully graphed the vectors A, B, C, and D on Excel. I hope this helps. Good luck with your extra credit and happy learning! In summary, to graph vectors on Excel, you can use the equations for calculating the x and y components, plot them as points on a graph, and use the SUM function to calculate the resultant vector. You can then add direction to the resultant vector using the LINE function.
r4y_m4n
Drawing vectors on excel, how?

Homework Statement

Finding and graphing the resultant/equilibrant vector.

Homework Equations

A=90grams, angle=197
B=60grams, angle=81
C=80grams, angle=218
Find D and angle of D...which I've already found (D=140.67, angle=186.65)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already done the work, and I've already calculated the vector for D.
I've already drawn the vector on a piece of paper and my error percentage came out to be ~1%. But the teacher is giving extra credit for those who graph them on computer.
I've been searching for hours and I can't find any tutorial on how to graph them.

Does anyone know how to graph them on computer (excel preferably)? Even though it's only extra credit, I'm actually interested in learning how to graph them on Excel

Attachments

• noname.jpg
    noname.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I have experience using Excel for various data analysis and visualization tasks. Here are some steps you can follow to draw vectors on Excel:

1. Open a new Excel spreadsheet and enter the values for A, B, and C in separate cells. For example, you can enter A in cell A1, B in cell B1, and C in cell C1.

2. To draw a vector, we need to specify its magnitude and direction. In this case, the magnitude of each vector is given by its respective weight (A=90g, B=60g, C=80g). The direction is given by the angle (in degrees) at which the vector is pointing. To calculate the x and y components of each vector, we can use the following equations:

x-component = magnitude * cos(angle)
y-component = magnitude * sin(angle)

For example, for vector A, the x-component would be 90 * cos(197) = -83.5 and the y-component would be 90 * sin(197) = 75.4. You can use the same equations to calculate the x and y components for vectors B and C.

3. Once you have calculated the x and y components for each vector, you can plot them on a graph. Select the cells containing the x and y components for vector A, then go to the Insert tab and click on Scatter. Choose the Scatter with Straight Lines and Markers option. This will plot the x and y components as points on a graph.

4. Repeat this step for vectors B and C. You should now have three separate points on the graph representing the x and y components for each vector.

5. To draw the resultant vector (D), we need to add the x and y components of each vector. In Excel, you can use the SUM function to do this. For example, in a new cell, enter =SUM(A2:C2) to calculate the x-component of D. Repeat this for the y-component.

6. Now, you can plot the resultant vector D using the same method as before. However, this time, you can select all the cells containing the x and y components for vector D. This will plot the vector as a single point on the graph.

7. To add the direction of the vector, you can use the LINE function in Excel. Select the point representing vector D, then go to the Insert tab and click on Shapes

as it can be a useful tool for future experiments and data analysis.

Graphing vectors on Excel is actually quite simple. First, you will need to enter your data into the spreadsheet. In this case, you will enter the values for A, B, C, and D, as well as their corresponding angles. Once you have entered all of your data, you can create a scatter plot graph by selecting all of the cells with your data and clicking on the "Insert" tab at the top of the Excel window. From there, select "Scatter" from the "Charts" section and choose the "Scatter with only Markers" option. This will create a graph with all of your data points plotted as individual points on the graph.

To add vectors to your graph, you will need to create a new data series. To do this, right-click on your graph and select "Select Data" from the drop-down menu. In the new window that opens, click on the "Add" button under the "Legend Entries (Series)" section. This will allow you to enter the name of your new data series (e.g. Vector A) and select the cells that contain the data for that vector. Repeat this process for each vector that you want to add to your graph.

Once all of your vectors are added, you can change the appearance of the vectors by right-clicking on them and selecting "Format Data Series" from the drop-down menu. In the new window that opens, you can change the color, style, and size of your vectors to make them more visible and easier to read. You can also add labels to your vectors by clicking on the "Add Data Labels" option under the "Labels" tab in the "Format Data Series" window.

To find the resultant/equilibrant vector, you can use the "Trendline" feature in Excel. Right-click on any of the data points for your vectors and select "Add Trendline" from the drop-down menu. In the new window that opens, select the "Linear" option under "Trendline Options" and check the box next to "Display equation on chart." The equation displayed on your graph will give you the magnitude and direction of the resultant/equilibrant vector.

I hope this helps you to graph your vectors on Excel and earn some extra credit. Don't forget to label your axes and add a title to your graph to make it more

Related to Drawing vectors on excel, how? due in 3 hours

What is the purpose of drawing vectors on Excel?

The purpose of drawing vectors on Excel is to visually represent data and information in a way that is easy to understand and analyze. Vectors can be used to show the direction and magnitude of a quantity, as well as relationships between different variables.

Can vectors be drawn on Excel?

Yes, vectors can be drawn on Excel using the built-in drawing tools or by using graphing functions. These tools allow users to create and customize vector diagrams and charts to display their data.

How do I draw vectors on Excel?

To draw vectors on Excel, first select the data you want to represent in your vector diagram. Then, go to the "Insert" tab and click on the "Shapes" button in the "Illustrations" group. Choose the shape you want to use for your vector and draw it on the spreadsheet. You can then resize, rotate, and add labels to your vector as needed.

Can I customize the appearance of my vectors on Excel?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your vectors on Excel by changing the color, line style, and thickness of the vector. You can also add labels, arrows, and other shapes to your vector diagram to make it more visually appealing and informative.

Is there a time limit for drawing vectors on Excel?

No, there is no time limit for drawing vectors on Excel. However, it is recommended to save your work regularly to avoid losing any changes or progress. It is also important to keep in mind the deadline for your project or assignment when working on a time-sensitive task.