Drawing a Triangle with Side a=4 cm, Altitude 3 cm, and Angle α=60°

In summary, the homework assignment asks you to draw a triangle with an altitude of 3cm and two points A and B. You can use the sine and cosine rule to find length c, and then use the sine rule to find sin C.
skrat

Homework Statement

Side ##a=4 cm##, altitude to side a is 3 cm , angle ##\alpha =60 °##.

How can I draw that? Step by step

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you allowed to use in your construction? A ruler and protractor for example would make this a trivial task.

Also, have you tried anything?

Am... Trivial?

:D

I tried:
Decided where my point A is. :D
Than using a thumbscrew compass I measured the altitude to side a and drew a circle around point A.
I just picked a random radius of that circle, and drew a perpendicular line to it. (on this line, my a side should be).
However, the problem with this is I can't find a way to exactly determine where the other two points are now...

Ok hang on, just so I have a clear understanding of what your triangle dimensions are.

If we draw side a=4cm alone the bottom, let A be the left point, B the right point (hence AB is 4cm), and C the top point that will connect the triangle together. Now which length is 3cm long and which angle is 60o?

If angle ## \alpha ## is adjacent to side a it is easy, but I assume this is not the case.

So you have two right angled triangles one with an angle of ## \theta ## adjacent to a side of length 3 cm and opposite a side of length ## x ##, and one with an angle of ## 60 - \theta ## adjacent to a side of length 3 cm and opposite a side of length ## 4 - x ## cm.

Two equations, two unknowns - and a very surprising (to me) solution.

Not sure if you can do this with ruler, protractor and compass though.

You'll be surprised with how much time is spent wasted because the problem was misunderstood and the standards of triangle labelling aren't always upheld.

You can use the sine and cosine rule to find length c. If b = 3cm then with the cosine rule

[tex]c^2 = a^2+b^2-2ab\cdot \cos C[/tex]

Plugging our known values in

[tex]c^2=3^2+4^2-2\cdot 3\cdot 4\cos C[/tex]

[tex]c^2=25-24\cos C[/tex]

Now for the sine rule

[tex]\frac{\sin A}{a} = \frac{\sin B}{b}[/tex]

Plugging values

[tex]\sin B = \frac{3\sqrt{3}}{8}[/tex]

Hence you've got B and then you can find [itex]\sin C[/itex]. I'm assuming you're only using a compass, because if you could use a protractor then just the sine rule would be sufficient to solve your problem.

Mentallic said:
You'll be surprised with how much time is spent wasted because the problem was misunderstood and the standards of triangle labelling aren't always upheld.
Not really. :D
I understood it exactly the same way you did. But I later found out that it is not so simple. I am sorry for being evil.
Mentallic said:
You can use the sine and cosine rule to find length c. If b = 3cm then with the cosine rule

[tex]c^2 = a^2+b^2-2ab\cdot \cos C[/tex]

Plugging our known values in

[tex]c^2=3^2+4^2-2\cdot 3\cdot 4\cos C[/tex]

[tex]c^2=25-24\cos C[/tex]

Now for the sine rule

[tex]\frac{\sin A}{a} = \frac{\sin B}{b}[/tex]

Plugging values

[tex]\sin B = \frac{3\sqrt{3}}{8}[/tex]

Hence you've got B and then you can find [itex]\sin C[/itex]. I'm assuming you're only using a compass, because if you could use a protractor then just the sine rule would be sufficient to solve your problem.

That works perfectly!
Thank you!

Ok, or maybe it doesn't work perfectly.

Who said b=3cm?
If you used b just for labelling, than I am sorry to say that in that case the value of a is no longer 4 cm.

Or is there something I missunderstood?

EDIT: incorrect post ahead.

Ugh... altitude = 3cm... I took that as being the side length of the triangle. Sorry, it's been a long night. That's another thing that'll waste everyone's time :biggrin:

Just once more... Altitude to side a means that the altitude of 3cm connects point A to side a perpendicularly, correct?

If that is the case (which at this point I wouldn't bet heavily on), you have many possibilities to choose from. It could be an isosceles triangle with each half-triangle having side lengths [itex]2,3,\sqrt{13}[/itex] by using pythagoras' theorem, which would then be easy to construct.

Last edited:
Mentallic said:
Ugh... altitude = 3cm... I took that as being the side length of the triangle. Sorry, it's been a long night. That's another thing that'll waste everyone's time :biggrin:
Yes but it is a waste of time in a good way. :D

Mentallic said:
Just once more... Altitude to side a means that the altitude of 3cm connects point A to side a perpendicularly, correct?
YES.

Mentallic said:
If that is the case (which at this point I wouldn't bet heavily on), you have many possibilities to choose from. It could be an isosceles triangle with each half-triangle having side lengths [itex]2,3,\sqrt{13}[/itex] by using pythagoras' theorem, which would then be easy to construct.

I was afraid you might say that, because I came to the same conclusion (but only in my head with no proof). It's not that I have to proof anything but it just came to my mind that it might be interesting to see the mathematical proof of more possibilities and with it also exactly what are they.

skrat said:
I was afraid you might say that, because I came to the same conclusion (but only in my head with no proof). It's not that I have to proof anything but it just came to my mind that it might be interesting to see the mathematical proof of more possibilities and with it also exactly what are they.

Actually we should have thought about it some more, because it doesn't look as though it's going to have many possible answers. If you want to prove it for yourself then denote the angle at A in the left triangle by [itex]\theta[/itex] and then the angle at A in the right triangle will be [itex]60^o-\theta[/itex]. Using simple trigonometry you can then find the length of side a on only the left triangle (you can denote it by a1) and similarly, on only the right triangle (denoted [itex]a_2=4-a_1[/itex]).

You should then have two equations in two unknowns. See if you can find if these two equations intersect anywhere other than when [itex]\theta = 30^o[/itex].EDIT:
It doesn't work when it's an isosceles triangle. [itex]\tan 30^o \neq 2/3[/itex] which would need to be the case.

So I've failed to answer your question thus far. It's been a great night...

Anyway I'm currently working on the algebra. You should too.

Last edited:
Mentallic said:
Actually we should have thought about it some more, because it doesn't look as though it's going to have many possible answers. If you want to prove it for yourself then denote the angle at A in the left triangle by [itex]\theta[/itex] and then the angle at A in the right triangle will be [itex]60^o-\theta[/itex]. Using simple trigonometry you can then find the length of side a on only the left triangle (you can denote it by a1) and similarly, on only the right triangle (denoted [itex]a_2=4-a_1[/itex]).

You should then have two equations in two unknowns.

This is exactly what I said in post 6.

AlephZero said:
You can construct it geometrically if you know this theorem: http://www.mathopenref.com/arccentralangletheorem.html

Draw side a, find the center of the circle and draw it, then draw a line parallel to a at the given altitude.

Brilliant - did you get this by guessing that the angle of 60° was chosen because 60/2 = 30 and 60 + 30 = 90?

MrAnchovy said:
This is exactly what I said in post 6.

I didn't see that at first. You must have edited your post, right? Ugh this is too embarrassing, good night guys.

Mentallic said:
I didn't see that at first. You must have edited your post, right? Ugh this is too embarrassing, good night guys.

You could redeem yourself by explaining why the numerical value of the angle ## \theta ## is a rational multiple of ## \pi ## degrees.

See picture. Draw side a, and a parallel line at distance of 3 cm. The point A should be on that parallel line.

Point A is also on a circle from where the side a looks at the viewing angle of α= 60°. (Angles Subtended by Same Arc Theorem). This circle is circumcircle of the triangle, but also circumcircle of other triangles with α=60° and a =4 cm. That circumcircle can be drawn around the equilateral triangle with base a. The cross-section of the circle and the parallel line gives the point A.

ehild

Attachments

• drawtriangle.JPG
    drawtriangle.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 383
MrAnchovy said:
Brilliant - did you get this by guessing that the angle of 60° was chosen because 60/2 = 30 and 60 + 30 = 90?

Oh, it works for any angle :redface:

MrAnchovy said:

No, I "got it" because when I was at school (a long time ago!), 12-year-olds learned geometry :smile:

I understand everything except: How on Earth do I get that circle? What is the radius? Where is the center?

Do I firstly make a Equilateral triangle with ##a=4cm## and than draw a Circumscribed circle. After that I should draw a line perpendicular to any of the sides and is 3 cm away.

Does this bring me to right solution?

I think it does if I understand correctly what you wrote.

Draw the side a, a line 4 cm long. The ends are B and C. Draw an equilateral triangle with base of that line segment. Halve the sides, and connect to the opposite vertices. These lines are also heights. They intersect in the centre of the circumscribed circle. Draw the circle. Measure 3 cm up from the base BC on the height belonging to side BC. Draw a line through that point parallel with BC. The line intersects two points from the circle: these are the third points of the triangle. You get two symmetric triangles.

ehild

Related to Drawing a Triangle with Side a=4 cm, Altitude 3 cm, and Angle α=60°

1. How do I draw a triangle with side a=4 cm, Altitude 3 cm, and Angle α=60°?

To draw a triangle with these measurements, you will need a ruler, protractor, and a pencil. First, draw a line segment of 4 cm on a piece of paper. Then, using the protractor, draw an angle of 60° from one end of the line segment. This will be the base of the triangle. Next, from the other end of the line segment, draw a perpendicular line of 3 cm. This will be the altitude of the triangle. Finally, connect the end points of the altitude to the end point of the angle to form the triangle.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle with side a=4 cm, Altitude 3 cm, and Angle α=60°?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is: Area = 1/2 * base * height. In this case, the base is 4 cm and the height is 3 cm, so the area would be: Area = 1/2 * 4 cm * 3 cm = 6 cm²

3. How do I find the missing side of a triangle with side a=4 cm, Altitude 3 cm, and Angle α=60°?

To find the missing side of a triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides is equal to the square of the longest side. In this case, we can use the altitude as the longest side, so we can set up the equation as: 3² = 4² + x². Solving for x, we get: x = √(3² - 4²) = √(9 - 16) = √(-7) = undefined. Since the square root of a negative number is undefined, this triangle cannot be drawn as it violates the triangle inequality theorem.

4. Can I draw a triangle with side a=4 cm, Altitude 3 cm, and Angle α=60° on a coordinate plane?

Yes, you can draw a triangle with these measurements on a coordinate plane. To do so, start by plotting a point at (0,0) and label it as A, this will be the vertex of the 60° angle. Then, plot another point at (4,0) and label it as B, this will be one end of the base. From point A, draw a line at a 60° angle to the x-axis, and mark a point at (3,3√3) and label it as C, this will be the other end of the base. Finally, connect points B and C to complete the triangle.

5. What is the perimeter of a triangle with side a=4 cm, Altitude 3 cm, and Angle α=60°?

The perimeter of a triangle is the sum of all its sides. In this case, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the missing side, which we found to be undefined in question 3. Therefore, the perimeter would be: Perimeter = 4 cm + 3 cm + undefined = undefined. Again, this triangle cannot be drawn as it violates the triangle inequality theorem.