Drawing a right triangle to simpliy the given expressions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the trigonometric equation sin(sec^-1(sqrt(x^2+16)/4)), with one person providing a solution involving labeling sides of a right triangle and finding the sine value. Another person expresses confusion and asks for clarification on how to find the opposite value. The conversation also mentions the importance of posting in the appropriate forum for questions related to trigonometry and precalculus.
Johnyi
1. Homework Statement
Sin(sec^-1(sqrt(x^2+16)/4))

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I did the math and ended up getting x^2-1 as the opposite, but the answers on the back of the book say other wise.

Physics news on Phys.org
For future reference, trigonometry is usually precalculus material. Posting in the appropriate forum may be a good idea.

Assuming a is the adjacent side, b the opposite, and c the hypotenuse, you need to use

sec x = c / a (so arcsec c / a = x)
b2 = c2 - a2
sin x = b / c

Carefully resolve.

My solution: b^2=(x^2+16/16) + 1

I don't know what to do from there!

Johnyi said:
My solution: b^2=(x^2+16/16) + 1

I don't know what to do from there!
This doesn't make any sense to me.

Draw a right triangle, with one acute angle labeled θ. Label the two sides and hypotenuse so that sec θ = √(x2 + 16)/4. With appropriate restrictions, this equation is equivalent to θ = sec-1[√(x2 + 16)/4].

After labeling the sides, find sinθ, and you're done.

How do i get the opposite value?

It's a right triangle. If you know any two sides, you should be able to get the third.

Related to Drawing a right triangle to simpliy the given expressions

1. How do I simplify a given expression using a right triangle?

To simplify an expression using a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By using this theorem, you can create a right triangle that represents the given expression and then solve for the unknown side.

2. What is the purpose of drawing a right triangle to simplify expressions?

Drawing a right triangle helps to visually represent the given expression and makes it easier to apply mathematical concepts, such as the Pythagorean theorem, to simplify the expression. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the relationship between the different parts of the expression.

3. How do I determine which side of the right triangle represents each part of the expression?

In a right triangle, the side opposite the right angle is called the hypotenuse, and the other two sides are called the legs. The hypotenuse represents the unknown quantity in the expression, while the legs represent the known quantities. You can label the sides of the triangle accordingly to help you keep track of which side represents which part of the expression.

4. Can I use a right triangle to simplify any type of expression?

Yes, you can use a right triangle to simplify any expression that involves the square root of a sum of squares. This includes expressions with variables, as well as expressions with numerical values. However, the Pythagorean theorem can only be applied to right triangles, so it is important to ensure that the triangle you are drawing is a right triangle.

5. Are there any other methods for simplifying expressions besides using a right triangle?

Yes, there are other methods for simplifying expressions, such as factoring, using the distributive property, and applying algebraic rules. However, drawing a right triangle is a useful tool for simplifying expressions involving square roots and can be used in conjunction with other methods to arrive at a simplified solution.