Drawing a parabola with different labels

In summary, the conversation is about a person wanting to type up a solution for a problem using Sharelatex and TikZ, but is unsure where to start. They are also seeking advice on how to insert a diagram into their document. Suggestions are made to use gnuplot and a tutorial is recommended for reference.
Cosmophile
Hey, all. I'm wanting to type up a few ways to solve a neat Kleppner & Kolenkow problem, and I'd like to put a diagram I've drawn in. Here is what I'd like to insert: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t34.0-12/12358411_10205721788785508_1144239407_n.jpg?oh=8712c4f0c3d757bc66acdf4be568f5ba&oe=566E3EB9

I'm typing it up on Sharelatex, so I'll be using TikZ. The most I've ever done with LaTeX is here on PF, and the most coding I've ever done was back in 2008 on MySpace, so I'm not sure where to begin. Sorry for the massive image, by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you make the base plot with gnuplot, along with the labels and everything, and then output it in a form usable by LaTeX. The following tutorial has some nive examples: http://www.gnuplot.info/files/tutorial.pdf

Related to Drawing a parabola with different labels

1. How do you draw a parabola with different labels?

To draw a parabola with different labels, you will need to use a graphing calculator or graphing software. First, determine the equation of the parabola in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c. Then, plot several points that satisfy the equation and connect them to create a smooth curve. Finally, label the axes and the parabola with the appropriate labels.

2. What are the different parts of a parabola?

A parabola has three main parts: the vertex, the axis of symmetry, and the focus and directrix. The vertex is the highest or lowest point on the parabola, depending on whether it opens upwards or downwards. The axis of symmetry is a vertical line that passes through the vertex and divides the parabola into two equal halves. The focus and directrix are points that determine the shape of the parabola and its location in the coordinate plane.

3. How do you label the x and y intercepts on a parabola?

The x-intercepts of a parabola are the points where the curve intersects the x-axis. To label them, set y = 0 in the equation of the parabola and solve for x. The resulting value(s) of x will be the x-intercepts. Similarly, the y-intercept is the point where the curve intersects the y-axis. To label it, set x = 0 in the equation and solve for y.

4. Can a parabola have more than one label?

Yes, a parabola can have multiple labels. The most common labels are the vertex, axis of symmetry, focus and directrix, and x and y intercepts. However, depending on the context or purpose of the graph, you may choose to add other labels such as the maximum or minimum point, the equation of the parabola, or the points of intersection with other curves or lines.

5. How can I use a parabola with different labels in real life?

Parabolas with different labels are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering. For example, in physics, they can represent the trajectory of a projectile, such as a ball thrown in the air. In architecture and design, parabolas are used to create structures with optimal stability, such as arches and bridges. In economics, they can model the demand and supply curve for a product or service. Understanding how to draw a parabola with different labels can help you analyze and interpret these real-life scenarios.