Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Draw out the circuit diagram for the following 2 output circuit

shamieh

Sep 13, 2013
Draw out the circuit diagram for the following 2 output circuit specified in the following Verilog module (AND - &, Or - |, Not - ~). Use AND, OR and Inverter Gates.

Module test1(f,g,x,y,z);
input x,y,z;
output f,g;

assign g = f(~y&~x);
assign f = x&y | ~x&z;
endmodule;

Here is my solution:

photo(2).JPG

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Module test1(f,g,x,y,z);
input x,y,z;
output f,g;

assign g = f(~y&~x);
assign f = x&y | ~x&z;
endmodule;
I am not familiar with Verilog (I am using another software that uses file extension .v :)), but I don't understand "f(~y&~x)". Since there is no operator between f and (~y&~x), it looks like a function application, but f has not been declared a function (this requires the "function" keyword). I tried to compile this code on www.compileonline.com, and it seems to say the same thing:
Code:
main.v:5: error: No function f in this context (test1).
main.v:5: error: Unable to elaborate r-value: f((~(y))&(~(x)))
Besides, "module" in Verilog is written with a lowercase m and apparently there should not be a semicolon after "endmodule". If you want to design circuits, you have to be extra careful about such things.

shamieh

Sep 13, 2013
the f in f(~y&~x) means like the function f. So it's essentially saying that the function g = f (f = x&y | ~x&z;) OR (~y&~x); see what i'm saying?

and the endmodule should have been lower case. Mistake on my part.

shamieh

Sep 13, 2013
I am not familiar with Verilog (I am using another software that uses file extension .v :)), but I don't understand "f(~y&~x)". Since there is no operator between f and (~y&~x), it looks like a function application, but f has not been declared a function (this requires the "function" keyword). I tried to compile this code on www.compileonline.com, and it seems to say the same thing:
Code:
main.v:5: error: No function f in this context (test1).
main.v:5: error: Unable to elaborate r-value: f((~(y))&(~(x)))
Besides, "module" in Verilog is written with a lowercase m and apparently there should not be a semicolon after "endmodule". If you want to design circuits, you have to be extra careful about such things.
I got mine to compile fine. It was a typo on my part originally i put a semicolon at the end which was wrong, but if you copy and paste this in the compiler you just linked me, it compiles and executes fine. But how do I actually draw this monster?:eek: Here is the code that will compile below if you want to try for yourself.
Code:
module test1(f,g,x,y,z);
    input x,y,z;
    output f,g;

assign g = f|(~y&~x);
    assign f = x&y|~x&z;
endmodule

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Code:
module test1(f,g,x,y,z);
    input x,y,z;
    output f,g;

assign g = f|(~y&~x);
    assign f = x&y|~x&z;
endmodule
This makes a big difference because now there is an OR after f. So f is not a function, but a regular variable. Before, even if f had been declared a function using the "function" keyword, it would have been unclear how f, which depends on two inputs x and y, can be applied to a single argument (~y&~x).

If you understand the order of evaluation, drawing a circuit is easy.

(1) x and y go to an AND
(2) x gets inverted and with z goes to an AND
(3) outputs of (1) and (2) go to an OR
(4) y and x get inverted and to to an AND
(5) outputs of (3) and (4) go to an OR.