Draw graph of quadratic function 87x - 700 - x^2

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum value of a function P = 87x - 700 -x^2, as well as the coordinates of the stationary point. The person asking for help is struggling with graphing and finding the stationary point, and is reminded to show effort and refer to lecture notes or a textbook for guidance. The function should be transformed into standard form to easily identify the vertex and solve for any roots.
education1983
P = 87x - 700 -x^2

1. Draw a graph of P against x and estimate the maximum value of P and also calculate the coordinates of the stationary point and verify if it is maximum.

I am not very good at graph drawing or stationary points... any help people?

Physics news on Phys.org

education1983 said:
P = 87x - 700 -x^2

1. Draw a graph of P against x and estimate the maximum value of P and also calculate the coordinates of the stationary point and verify if it is maximum.

I am not very good at graph drawing or stationary points... any help people?
You've been told several times that you need to show work or at least a little effort when asking for homework help. We will not do your homework for you.

I found P= 87X - 700 - X^2 after my calculations, I just need a little help on where to go from there??

education1983 said:
I found P= 87X - 700 - X^2 after my calculations, I just need a little help on where to go from there??
You must have lecture notes or a textbook to refer to. How does your notes suggest that one sketch such a function?

You presented a function P, in general form. Check your notes and textbook to learn how to transform your function into standard form. Standard form for a quadratic function allows you to see how your function has changed from P = x^2. Standard form allows you to very easily identify the vertex of the parabola. You then can let P = 0 or
0 = 87x - 700 -x^2 to find any "roots" or "zeros" of the function P.

Related to Draw graph of quadratic function 87x - 700 - x^2

1. How do you plot a quadratic function on a graph?

To plot a quadratic function on a graph, you will need to identify the x and y coordinates of several points on the graph. To do this, you can use the formula ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the function. Plug in different values for x and solve for y to get the coordinates. Once you have a few points, plot them on a graph and connect them with a smooth curve.

2. What is the vertex of a quadratic function?

The vertex of a quadratic function is the maximum or minimum point on the graph. It is also known as the turning point. To find the vertex, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the function. Plug this value of x into the function to get the y-coordinate of the vertex.

3. How many solutions does a quadratic function have?

A quadratic function can have a maximum of two solutions. These solutions can be real or complex numbers. The number of solutions depends on the values of the coefficients a, b, and c in the function. If the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is positive, the function will have two distinct real solutions. If the discriminant is zero, the function will have one real solution. If the discriminant is negative, the function will have two complex solutions.

4. What is the axis of symmetry for a quadratic function?

The axis of symmetry for a quadratic function is a vertical line that passes through the vertex of the parabola. It divides the parabola into two symmetrical halves. The equation for the axis of symmetry is x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the function.

5. How do you determine the direction of opening for a quadratic function?

The direction of opening for a quadratic function can be determined by looking at the coefficient of the x^2 term. If the coefficient is positive, the parabola will open upwards, and if it is negative, the parabola will open downwards. You can also determine the direction of opening by looking at the sign of the leading coefficient (a). If a is positive, the parabola will open upwards, and if a is negative, the parabola will open downwards.