Draw Feynman Diagram: e+e- → VeVe

In summary, Feynman diagrams are a helpful way of depicting the scattering and annihilation of particles. They can be used to depict the mediation of a force between two particles.
Bowenwww
Feynman Diagrams! Please Help!

Hi guys!

I've been asked to draw a scattering and annihilation Feynman diagram for the following scenario:

e+e- → VeVe (The second Ve is an anti-neutrino just couldn't figure how to put the bar on! :P

I've tried it and I'm convinced the mediating operator is a photon via the electromagnetic force but I don't see where it can produce two neutrinos :S Unless it's a different mediator?

Anyways any help would be appreciated!

thanks guys!

Karly xoxo

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Karly! :smile:
Bowenwww said:
… I'm convinced the mediating operator is a photon via the electromagnetic force …

But can neutrinos feel the electromagnetic force? :confused:

No because they have no charge :) do both sides have to be affected by the mediator? That might be a stupid question I'm sorry but I don't know

If they do then this must be via a W boson?

Am I right?

K xoxo

Bowenwww said:
No because they have no charge :) do both sides have to be affected by the mediator?

any vertex a fermion (in this case, a neutrino) is joined to must have a boson that "mediates" a force that the fermion feels
If they do then this must be via a W boson?

W or Z (or both) … you decide! :wink:

But the total charge on the LHS is zero, as is the charge on the RHS so surely it's a Z boson?

Or am I being silly?

Karly xoxox

Last edited:
i don't like this LHS RHS way of looking at it :redface:

this is an exercise on Feynman diagrams, so look at the vertices

what happens if the two electrons are joined to the same vertex?

what happens if the two electrons aren't joined to the same vertex? :wink:

Well surely if both the electron and the positron are joined to the same vertex then they have annihilated into a mediator, no? And if they are not then they have simply scattered off each other via the exchange of a mediator?

God I hate this, I know I'm being really stupid but thank-you for your help <3

K xoxo

Bowenwww said:
Well surely if both the electron and the positron are joined to the same vertex then they have annihilated into a mediator, no? And if they are not then they have simply scattered off each other via the exchange of a mediator?

yes and yes :smile:

but i still think it would be easier if you stuck to considering each individual vertex …

in the first case (the stick-man diagram), there are two ingoing fermions at one vertex, and two outgoing fermions at the other vertex, and in each their charge adds to 0

in the second case (the H-diagram), there is one ingoing fermion and one outgoing fermion at each vertex, and in each case their charge difference is not 0

sooo … ? :smile:

Related to Draw Feynman Diagram: e+e- → VeVe

1. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of the mathematical equations that describe the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman and is commonly used in particle physics to calculate the probability of different particle interactions.

2. What particles are involved in the e+e- → VeVe Feynman diagram?

The e+e- → VeVe Feynman diagram involves two electrons (e-) and two antielectrons (e+), also known as positrons, interacting to produce a neutrino (Ve) and its antiparticle (Ve).

3. What does the arrow direction in the Feynman diagram represent?

The arrow direction in a Feynman diagram represents the flow of time. In the e+e- → VeVe diagram, the time flows from left to right, indicating that the electron and antielectron are initially present and then produce the neutrino and its antiparticle.

4. How is the probability of this interaction calculated from the Feynman diagram?

The probability of the e+e- → VeVe interaction is calculated by summing up the contributions of all possible Feynman diagrams that could occur in the given situation. Each diagram has a mathematical expression associated with it, and when all the expressions are combined, the final result is the probability of the interaction.

5. What is the significance of the e+e- → VeVe Feynman diagram in particle physics?

The e+e- → VeVe Feynman diagram is significant because it represents one of the ways in which particles can interact and change into different particles. It helps us understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe and is a crucial tool in calculating the probabilities of these interactions.