Draw a truth table for x XOR 1 = x

In summary, the conversation discusses using boolean algebra to verify the truth of an identity. The attempt at a solution involves using a truth table to prove that x XOR 1 does not equal x. The individual is unsure how to proceed with drawing the truth table since there is only one variable and a 1 involved in the equation. It is mentioned that some binary operations, such as NOT, do not require two variables for input.
larry21

Homework Statement

Using boolean algebra, verify if the identity is true. Draw truth table to verify answers.

x XOR 1 = x

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]x \oplus 1 = x[/itex]

(x’ * 1) + (x * 1’)
(x’ * 1) + (x * 0)
(x’ * 1) + 0
(x’ * 1)
x’

I've proven that the equation is false. How do I draw truth table to prove it? Help appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the truth table to verify the answer - what values can x take?

x can be true or false (1 or 0). I still don't know how to proceed...

How would you normally go about drawing a truth-table?

Normally I look at the equation; usually there are 2 variables and I list all possible combinations for them. but in this case, there's only one variable and a 1. What do I do with the 1?

Not all binary operations require two numbers for input.
The NOT operation for eg.

The XOR operation does not require two variables - just two numbers.

Related to Draw a truth table for x XOR 1 = x

1. What does "x XOR 1" mean in this context?

In this context, "XOR" stands for "exclusive or" which is a logical operator that compares two values and returns true if only one of the values is true. In other words, it checks if one value is true and the other is false.

2. Why is the result of "x XOR 1" equal to "x" in this truth table?

The result of "x XOR 1" is equal to "x" because when one of the values is always true (in this case, 1), the other value is preserved. In other words, the result of "x XOR 1" will only be true if "x" is true and "1" is false.

3. How do you create a truth table for "x XOR 1 = x"?

To create a truth table for "x XOR 1 = x", you will need to list all possible combinations of values for "x" and "1" and then compare them using the XOR operator. The resulting column will show the value of "x" for each combination.

4. Can you give an example of a truth table for "x XOR 1 = x"?

Yes, here is an example of a truth table for "x XOR 1 = x":

x 1 x XOR 1
0 0 0
0 1 1
1 0 1
1 1 0

5. What is the purpose of using a truth table for "x XOR 1 = x"?

The purpose of using a truth table for "x XOR 1 = x" is to illustrate the behavior of the XOR operator and its result when one of the values is always true. It can also be used to compare the results of different logical operators and understand when to use XOR in a logical statement.