Draw a circuit sketch og the two circuit arrangements

In summary: So you can calculate the potential at each point by multiplying the potential gradient by the length of the wire at that point. The potential will decrease as you move further along the wire. In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the current in a circuit with a standard 10.0 (ohm) resistor using a potentiometer and the potential gradient of a standard cell. The conversation also mentions drawing circuit sketches for two different arrangements. In order to find the current, the potential gradient is used to calculate the potential over the resistor, and then Ohm's law is used to find the current.
natural
Circuit ...LOSt

:confused:

Homework Statement

A sandard cell or 1080V gives a balance length of 512 mm on a potentiometer. If the p.d across a standard 10.0 (ohm) resistor in a circuir gives a balance length of 784 mm, calculate the current in the circuit with the 10.0 (ohm) resistor. Draw a circuit sketch og the two circuit arrangements required in the above case.
I am stuck here..am i going right?.please help someone..

The Attempt at a Solution

E = k * 512*10^-3 (512 times ten to the power of minus 3)

V = E - Ir
V = k * 784*10^-3

V = IR I = V/R = V/10

E = V + Ir

K* 784*10^-3 = k * 512*10^-3 - K*784*10^-3(r)/10

K's cancel

784*10^-3(r)/10 = 784*10^-3 - 512*10^-3
= 0.0784r = 0.272
= 3.46(ohms)

...what else do i do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The info on the standard cell (I assume you ment 1.080 V) gives the potential gradient of the potentiometer:

[tex]e = 1.080/0.512\ V/m[/tex]

With this value you can subsequently calculate the potential over the standard resistor. Which enables you to calc the current through it via Ohm's law.

how do you calculate the potential? would it be V=0.784(1.080/0.512) ?

Yes. The potential gradient over the wire of the potentiometer is constant (the diameter of the wire is constant).

Related to Draw a circuit sketch og the two circuit arrangements

What is a circuit sketch?

A circuit sketch is a drawing or diagram that shows the components and connections of an electrical circuit.

Why is it important to draw a circuit sketch?

Drawing a circuit sketch helps to visualize the circuit and understand how the components are connected. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and modification of the circuit.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path and the current flows through each component in succession. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths and the current is divided between them.

How do I draw a circuit sketch of a series circuit?

To draw a circuit sketch of a series circuit, start by drawing a straight line to represent the flow of current. Then, add the components in a single path along the line, with each component connected to the previous one. Finally, label the components and include any necessary symbols.

How do I draw a circuit sketch of a parallel circuit?

To draw a circuit sketch of a parallel circuit, start by drawing a straight line to represent the flow of current. Then, draw branches off of the main line for each component. Connect the components in each branch to the main line and label them appropriately. Finally, include any necessary symbols.