DPPH (a chemical salt [(C6H5)2N-NC6H2 (NO2)3]) and EPR/ESR

In summary: If the RF energy has more energy than the ionization energy of the compound, then the compound will be ionized.
hagopbul
I am doing this test on DPPH (a chemical salt [(C6H5)2N-NC6H2 (NO2)3])
The goal of the experiment is to study The Electron Paramagnetic Resonance or
The Electron Spin Resonance

Buy using this way:
see it in the file

Attachments

• dpph.doc
    32 KB · Views: 267
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think the higher frequency will matter. I don't know physics like others who might comment, but I'd be more worried about changing values in experiments from degradation due to light or heat. I can help more with presentation. Say "By" instead of "Buy," and you might change "we effect" to "we apply," and then clarify that you apply a polarizing (I think) field, and then you apply a linear pulse. Not sure if those terms are better, but there should be something better for the subsequent idea about the 90 degree orientation. Maybe something about how the magnetization works in a cavity?

Anyway, no one else is writing so I thought I'd throw-in my thoughts. We're generally interested in how DPPH behaves because we use it in our MRFM experiments.

hagopbul said:
I am doing this test on DPPH (a chemical salt [(C6H5)2N-NC6H2 (NO2)3])
The goal of the experiment is to study The Electron Paramagnetic Resonance or
The Electron Spin Resonance

Buy using this way:
see it in the file

Your question was,

The question that I have in my mind that if I use 1800 MHz (The magnetic field F) will I have the same result and can the DPPH or one of its atoms become ionized when I use a 1800 MHz.
What I understand about ESR is that the energy used to change the spin state of the electron in question must be in resonance to be absorbed. If the electron will absorb the RF (magnetic component) energy at 1800 MHz then you will have a result. If the usual energy of this absorption is significantly different than 1800 MHz, and it appears to be so, then nothing will happen. Your frequency range is from 35 to 75 MHz in the table you provided. 1800 MHz appears to be significantly different from this and so even higher level harmonics of the 35 to 75 MHz frequencies will not likely be absorbed in your experiment unless you significantly lower the strength of the static magnetic field.

You can answer your question about ionizing the compound for yourself if you calculate the energy in the RF energy (you should already know of a relationship between energy and frequency) and compare that to a typical ionization energy of this hydrazide. Watch your units (I would use Electron Volts).

Related to DPPH (a chemical salt [(C6H5)2N-NC6H2 (NO2)3]) and EPR/ESR

1. What is DPPH and how does it work?

DPPH (2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl) is a chemical salt that is commonly used in antioxidant assays. It works by reacting with free radicals and turning from a deep purple color to a pale yellow color. This change in color can be measured and used to determine the antioxidant activity of a substance.

2. What is EPR/ESR and how is it related to DPPH?

EPR (electron paramagnetic resonance) or ESR (electron spin resonance) is a technique used to study the properties of free radicals and other paramagnetic species. It is often used in conjunction with DPPH to study the scavenging activity of antioxidants on free radicals.

3. How is DPPH used in antioxidant assays?

DPPH is commonly used in antioxidant assays by measuring the change in color as it reacts with free radicals. This change in color can then be used to calculate the antioxidant activity of a substance. DPPH is also used as a standard in antioxidant assays to compare the antioxidant activity of different substances.

4. What are some common applications of DPPH and EPR/ESR?

DPPH and EPR/ESR have a wide range of applications in various fields such as food and pharmaceutical industries, environmental studies, and biomedical research. They are commonly used to study the antioxidant properties of natural products, to determine the presence of free radicals in biological systems, and to understand the mechanisms of oxidative stress and aging.

5. Are there any limitations to using DPPH and EPR/ESR?

While DPPH and EPR/ESR are valuable techniques in studying free radicals and antioxidants, there are some limitations to their use. For example, DPPH does not accurately reflect the antioxidant activity in biological systems as it is a simple chemical reaction. EPR/ESR can also be limited by the sensitivity of the instrument and the stability of the free radicals being studied.