Downspouts and vertical planters.

• Thread starter ramblescramble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary, if you want to restrict the amount of water that goes into a downspout, you can do so by adjusting the flow rate.
ramblescramble
If I only wanted a certain amount of water to enter a downspout from my roof (going to a planter) at any given time, and any extra would be diverted to a secondary downspout (going to the storm drain, or yard) how would that be possible?

I was thinking that the more water flowing along a horizontal pipe, the greater its kinetic energy, the more likely some of the water would run over a lip down into the overflow pipe, with a portion of it still going down the planter pipe. If the flow rate was at or under what I needed, the water's kinetic energy wouldn't be enough to run over the lip.

Am I overthinking it? Should I just have the water collect in a small cistern, have the overflow pipe set higher than the planter pipe, and call it a day?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, RS.
How about just building a box of your preferred volume with a flapper type diverter valve on top and a dumper valve on the bottom? You can set it with a weight sensor to trip the dumper when the box is full and reposition the diverter to allow a refill.

I"m more concerned with heavy rains versus light rains. If there's a massive downpour where I live, I don't want the full volume of water sheeting off my roof going into my planter where it can wreck the soil.

A box that dumps automatically doesn't really solve my problem that I can see.

Ahh... understood.
I'm not in a position right now to fully think about this, so I'm just going to brainstorm a tad. Maybe a trough with a set of holes over your garden drilled in the "top" end, but angled downward to sluice the rain away. If you have it on a pivot and spring loaded to a slight opposite tilt, medium rain would fall through on the way down, light rain would accumulate over the holes and fall down, but heavy rain would tilt it downward and drain most of it off.
That's just off the top of my head. I have other things to attend to, but I'll give it some more thought later.

I would suggest considering a few factors when designing a system to control the amount of water entering a downspout from a roof to a planter.

Firstly, the flow rate of water through a pipe is affected by the pipe's diameter, length, and slope, as well as the pressure and volume of water entering the pipe. So, to control the flow rate, you could adjust these parameters accordingly. For example, using a smaller diameter pipe or increasing the slope of the pipe can help reduce the flow rate.

Secondly, you could also consider using devices such as flow restrictors or flow regulators to control the flow rate. These are designed to limit the amount of water passing through a pipe, and they can be adjusted to meet your specific needs.

Additionally, incorporating a cistern or a storage tank into your system can also help regulate the flow of water. By collecting water in the cistern, you can control the amount of water entering the downspout and the planter. You can also use a float valve or a pump to maintain the desired water level in the cistern.

Overall, it is essential to consider the various factors that can affect the flow rate of water and design a system that can efficiently control it. It may require some experimentation and adjustments, but with careful planning, you can achieve your desired results.

Related to Downspouts and vertical planters.

1. What is a downspout?

A downspout, also known as a drain pipe or leader, is a vertical pipe that is used to collect and redirect rainwater from a roof to the ground or a drainage system.

2. How do downspouts work?

Downspouts work by collecting water from the gutters on a roof and directing it down and away from the building's foundation. This helps to prevent water from pooling around the foundation and potentially causing damage.

3. What is a vertical planter?

A vertical planter is a type of garden or planting system where plants are grown in a vertical arrangement, rather than horizontally on the ground. This allows for more efficient use of space and can be a great solution for small gardens or urban areas.

4. Can downspouts be used as vertical planters?

Yes, downspouts can be repurposed as vertical planters by attaching them to a wall or fence and filling them with soil and plants. This can be a creative way to add greenery to a space and maximize the use of a downspout.

5. Are there any benefits to using vertical planters?

Yes, there are several benefits to using vertical planters. They can help to save space, reduce the risk of pests and diseases, and provide better drainage for plants. They can also be a visually appealing addition to any space.