Downfield isnt low field .... or is it?

• Thread starter Miffymycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "downfield" and "upfield" in NMR spectroscopy and their relation to chemical shift and magnetic field strength. While there is confusion surrounding these terms, it is agreed that they should not be used in modern discussions of NMR and that the focus should be on understanding shielding and deshielding effects. The IUPAC supports this view.
Miffymycat
In CW or FT pmr, as chemical shift increases, why do we say "downfield" implying a lower magnetic field strength, when deshielded protons need a higher flip energy requiring a higher magnetic field strength and / or higher radio frequency radiation? Am I having a senior moment - apologies if so ...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No - it's a different question. I understand that the energy gap increases with deshielding : my query is I am missing the point as to why we say downfield implying a weaker field if the larger gap needs a stronger applied field?!

Thanks Dr Du yes this makes more sense. I hope there are others who would agree with this to provide confirmation / reassurance!

Upfield/downfield is a relic of the CW NMR era, and should be banished into the abyss when it comes to discussing NMR nowadays. The IUPAC even agrees. It's just confusing, as it's juxtaposed with the shielding/deshielding discussion, which is the important thing to be clear about when discussing chemical shifts.

Related to Downfield isnt low field .... or is it?

What is meant by "downfield" and "low field" in chemistry?

"Downfield" and "low field" refer to the relative positions of peaks in a nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrum. Downfield peaks are located at higher frequencies (to the left on an NMR spectrum) and are associated with more deshielded protons. Low field peaks, on the other hand, are located at lower frequencies (to the right on an NMR spectrum) and are associated with more shielded protons.

What does "downfield isnt low field" mean in NMR spectroscopy?

This phrase means that while downfield peaks may appear at higher frequencies, they are not necessarily associated with lower magnetic fields. In fact, downfield peaks can also appear at higher magnetic fields if the sample contains highly deshielded protons.

How can downfield peaks be identified in an NMR spectrum?

Downfield peaks can be identified by their higher frequency (to the left on an NMR spectrum) and by their chemical shift value, which is a measure of proton deshielding. The more deshielded the proton, the further downfield its peak will appear.

What factors can affect the position of downfield peaks in an NMR spectrum?

The position of downfield peaks can be affected by the chemical environment of the molecule, such as the presence of electronegative atoms or aromatic systems. It can also be influenced by the solvent used in the NMR experiment, as well as the strength of the magnetic field.

Why is understanding "downfield" and "low field" important in NMR spectroscopy?

Understanding these terms is important because they provide valuable information about the chemical structure and environment of a molecule. By analyzing the position of downfield and low field peaks, scientists can determine the functional groups present in a compound and use this information to identify and characterize unknown substances.