Downdraft CAPE -- How to do it

• Thread starter limiqt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about calculating downdraft convective available potential energy (DCAPE) using the NCEP reanalysis. DCAPE is the maximum energy available to a descending parcel, according to parcel theory. It can be seen as the negative area on a thermodynamic diagram, between the descending parcel process curve and the environmental sounding. The quantitative definition involves specific volumes and pressure levels. However, the person summarizing is not able to provide the specific calculation. The conversation also touches on other factors such as CAPE and LI found on Skew-T diagrams, which are important for storm chasing.
limiqt
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if someone could show me how to calculate the downdraft convective available potential energy (dcape) using the NCEP reanalysis. I will appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Lim

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi Lim
welcome to PF :smile:

see if this helps :)
from http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Downdraft_convective_available_potential_energy

downdraft convective available potential energy
(Abbreviated http://glossary.ametsoc.org/w/index.php?title=DCAPE&action=edit&redlink=1 .) The maximum energy available to a descending parcel, according to parcel theory.

On a http://glossary.ametsoc.org/w/index.php?title=Thermodynamic_diagram&action=edit&redlink=1 this is called negative area, and can be seen as the region between the descending parcel process curve and the environmental sounding, from the parcel's level of free sink to some lower level, usually the surface. Its quantitative definition is
Ams2001glos-De44.gif

where αp and αe are the specific volumes of the parcel and its environment, respectively, and ps and pf are the surface pressure and the pressure of the level of free sink, respectively.

I'm not a maths man so don't ask me to work it out for you :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw. From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about someone making an actual flying cape. :frown:

Likes davenn
LOL no such luck :wink:

being a storm chaser I actively keep close tabs on CAPE and LI ( lifted index) and a few other factors found on Skew-T diagrams :smile:Dave

Related to Downdraft CAPE -- How to do it

What is Downdraft CAPE?

Downdraft CAPE (Convective Available Potential Energy) is a measure of the amount of energy available for convection (vertical movement of air) within a downdraft in a thunderstorm. It indicates the potential for strong downdrafts and damaging winds.

How is Downdraft CAPE calculated?

Downdraft CAPE is calculated by taking the difference between the temperature at a certain height in the atmosphere (typically 850mb) and the temperature of the surface, and then multiplying it by a parcel's vertical velocity and density. This value is then integrated over a certain depth of the atmosphere to get the total amount of energy.

Why is Downdraft CAPE important?

Downdraft CAPE is important because it can help forecasters predict the potential severity of thunderstorms. Higher values of Downdraft CAPE indicate a greater potential for strong downdrafts and severe weather, while lower values may indicate weaker thunderstorms.

How do you measure Downdraft CAPE?

Downdraft CAPE can be measured using specialized instruments such as a rawinsonde, which is a weather balloon equipped with sensors that measure temperature, pressure, and humidity as it ascends through the atmosphere. These measurements can then be used to calculate Downdraft CAPE.

What are some limitations of Downdraft CAPE?

One limitation of Downdraft CAPE is that it only provides a measure of potential energy and does not guarantee the occurrence of severe weather. Other factors such as wind shear and atmospheric instability also play a role in the development of severe thunderstorms. Additionally, the calculation of Downdraft CAPE is based on assumptions and may not accurately represent the actual conditions in the atmosphere.